PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Paradise

GrkScorp
01-10-06, 02:07 PM
Contrary to what the title may suggest, there is in fact no trouble in paradise.

I do however have a bit of a problem. My girlfriend and I where talking about career goals, and she was just frustrated at me. We both have our B.S. in Accounting and M.A. in Economics. She wants to feel different though. Distinct from me, academicly. I have been suggesting an M.B.A., or a Ph.D in Economics. We both don't know what to do at this point, but one thing is for certain, and that is that she is frustrated! And when she is frustrated, I am frustrated.

I guess what I want to ask to the women over here, is why it's so important for a woman to feel different from her partner, relative to her education. How serious is this issue? And what career choices would you make if you had an M.A. in Economics and a B.S. in Accounting?

At this point, I guess it's worth mentioning that she wanted to go to Medical School, but she changed her mind after she saw the lives of some very successful doctors. She wanted to major in Biology, and I told her many times that it's a great idea, both for her to satisfy her interest in the subject, and to feel fulfilled as being different from me. But, I also recommended an M.S. in Biology/M.B.A. program that NYU offers, but she told me that she would not be interested.

I really don't get it at this point! But I desperatly want to, and I want to help the most I can. That's why i'm asking for any advice anyone could give, or any ideas whatsoever.

Thanx in advance everyone..

:french:

misombra
01-10-06, 11:07 PM
she should do whatever she wants, just give her time and let her decide. you can do whatever you want to. go for an m.b.a.!

vashti
01-10-06, 11:59 PM
This sounds like it is HER problem, not yours.

GrkScorp
02-10-06, 12:46 AM
This sounds like it is HER problem, not yours.

When it's HER problem, it's MY problem also.

vashti
02-10-06, 12:47 AM
Only if you LET it be your problem...

GrkScorp
02-10-06, 12:52 AM
How can you NOT let it be your problem? lol.. It's different being the guy in the relationship.. (generally)..

When you're the guy, you hear the problem, and you get emotionally blackmailed, until you give your full attention to it, and make it your top priority to solve it.. (this is not the case in this relationship)

When you're the girl in the relationship.. You usually have a guy who is quiet most of the time, and does not want to bother you with his problems, because he knows you have enough of your own.. so he keeps it to himself... until he gets over it...

As a result, you get frustrated at him... develop a problem, and you're back at step 1..

vashti
02-10-06, 01:04 AM
Maybe you should consider getting a girlfriend who is less competitive.

EDIT: You know, as I think about it, this might be an example of how men are often inclined to "fix" every problem. Maybe she is just venting about her frustration. She really ought to do this with her girlfriends who don't necessarily feel the need to "fix" it. I think you should ask her if she wants advice, or if she just wants to talk about it.

derm
02-10-06, 01:43 AM
But, I want her to be happy, so it IS my problem aswell..

She doesn't want me to go for my M.B.A. during my J.D.

This is because she wants to stand out as, an M.B.A.

I've considered other options, such as an M.P.A., M.P.H., or even Ph.D in Economics...

I've very flexible, mostly because everything you're going to learn during your M.B.A. is either covered in your Master's in Economics degree, or your Law Degree.

But I know she will already stand out from me. I just want her to feel it aswell.

OK all a bit OTT but will be AOK with your GF in the USA

jurupa
02-10-06, 03:32 AM
I understand where your girl friend is coming from, but why do you have to stop going after a M.B.A just so that she can get one instead? You guys are not married so there is no need for you to make such a sacrifice like that. Tell your girl friend to get a degree in another subject if she wants to be different from you.

Also how long has she been complainning about this? And how long have both of you had the same degrees? I am asking becuase your girl friend may be trying to see if she can control you thru this or maybe become the more domiant one in the relationship, if she can make you not go for your M.B.A.

misombra
02-10-06, 09:30 PM
you're gonna do a jd and mba at the same time? won't that take you like 10 years?

GrkScorp
03-10-06, 12:03 AM
(1) more year than a regular. (4) years total.

vashti
03-10-06, 02:43 AM
I know it's hard on her, and it's very tough for her now. And I only want to suggest, not push her into something that she will hate me for later on.

I'm still very interested to know your alternate perspective on the matter. What do you think is going on here?

Interesting that she considered medical school. I would have figured med school students would of had a more scientific-based education (biochem or something) as opposed to economics and accounting. It sounds like she is kind of all over the place, and it is up to HER to figure it all out.

I think you should be supportive of whatever she decides she wants to do, and more importantly, let this be HER problem.

King Zarathu
03-10-06, 02:45 AM
Happy Yom Kippur. :D

I decided not to go to school today because it's a Jewish holiday.

Gigabitch
03-10-06, 02:46 AM
Happy Yom Kippur. :D

I decided not to go to school today because it's a Jewish holiday.

There is no school here today.

vashti
03-10-06, 02:47 AM
Lots of LA schools already have the day off because so much of the faculty take the day off.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I am hungry. It's a fast day.

Gigabitch
03-10-06, 02:58 AM
This thread is such a non-problem.

"Oh, my girlfriend says I can't have an H2 because that's the kind of car SHE's going to get when she graduates, so I'm wondering, should I get a Lexus or a Ferrari, because I don't want her to feel I'm competing, oh, no I DO want the H2 after all- is she being fair to me?"

misombra
03-10-06, 02:59 AM
lol i know wtf?

King Zarathu
03-10-06, 03:00 AM
HAH!

We went to the Lebanese place on Saturday, and the Muslims were fasting too. So, there was a buffet for when they finished. Everybody was standing around the buffet, looking at their watches for it to hit 7:30 to pig out.

My cousin and I push through, "Excuse me... Yes, excuse me please...." We walk through, take all the food we want, and sit at a nearby table and stuff our faces. Everybody in their robes was just sitting there watching us. The waitress came and asked, "Aren't you guys fasting?"

We said, "We enjoy our blasphemy! Oh, could you bring me some pita bread please?" It was amazing.

vashti
03-10-06, 03:05 AM
I thought your family is Christian, skaterboy. You aren't obligated to fast, right? Or is Ramadan a cultural as well as religious occassion?

King Zarathu
03-10-06, 04:12 AM
I thought your family is Christian, skaterboy. You aren't obligated to fast, right? Or is Ramadan a cultural as well as religious occassion?
My family is Christian, except my cousin. My cousin and I are virtually the same thing except in different physical bodies. He became atheist around the same age I did, too.

vashti
03-10-06, 05:12 AM
...eh, you'll probably outgrow it at some point (together) and become something less absolute.

jurupa
03-10-06, 06:11 AM
This thread is such a non-problem.

"Oh, my girlfriend says I can't have an H2 because that's the kind of car SHE's going to get when she graduates, so I'm wondering, should I get a Lexus or a Ferrari, because I don't want her to feel I'm competing, oh, no I DO want the H2 after all- is she being fair to me?"I agree the only problem here is that GrkScorp not having a back bone and letting his girl friend control him. If I was in his shoes I would tell the girl friend tuff shit. I am getting the M.B.A for my self as it will advance my career and get me to my goals in life.

King Zarathu
03-10-06, 06:18 AM
...eh, you'll probably outgrow it at some point (together) and become something less absolute.
Well, our religious views are kinda complex. We just say "atheist" because it makes it simple, and people won't ask questions.

jurupa
03-10-06, 09:52 AM
Well, our religious views are kinda complex. We just say "atheist" because it makes it simple, and people won't ask questions.They may not ask questions, but their opnions go netagive tho if you say your an atheist becuase its the devils relgion you know.

King Zarathu
03-10-06, 09:53 AM
If they're that stupid, we don't need to hang around them.

VashTN
03-10-06, 10:04 AM
Yeah. Think about it. You're going to be a J.D., C.P.A., and M.A. in Economics. I think you'll have no serious trouble finding a job. I think what your girlfriend is trying to tell you is to not go degree happy. Sure, an M.B.A. or a Ph.D are great, and you will be more valuable, but is it really worth the extra time and money? At least the Ph.D isn't.

I'm also interested in Law School for later on. The N.Y.U. program sounds nice. An M.A. in Biology and an M.B.A. are a great way to get into Law School, and then get out and start working for a drug company. But even without Law School, your girlfriend can still do alot. There are not too many, if any, people with an M.B.A. that have both their C.P.A. and an M.A. in Economics.

Your girlfriend can easily make a great pick as a CFO or CEO, just by being an M.B.A., C.P.A., and M.A. in Economics. Think about what an M.B.A. does. He makes choices for the company based on the information that the analysts and accountants tell him. If your girlfriend understands this information better, she will be able to make better choices for her company. If it was my girlfriend, I'd push her towards an M.B.A. and Ph.D in Economics.

Think about it. Ph.D, MBA, CPA. You're hired! All you need is some good working exp. and ref. and you're in! The great thing about a Ph.D in Economics is that you can get it while you are working. You work for five years, and you not only stack up on five years exp., but also finish with a Ph.D during the end of it, and when you are done, you can apply for a much better job, less hours, you can even work from home, and you'll make the mucho bucks.

Med-School is gay. It's for people who have no life. Think about it. You spend four years in college, then, 4 years in med-school, then, 4 years being underpaid and in an insane amount of debt, and then, if you want to make money, you spend an other 2-3 more years! Don't do medicine, stick to business or law!

GrkScorp
03-10-06, 10:13 AM
Umm.. Yeah.. I don't need to find a way to get into..

This is about my girlfriend.. who is not interesting in getting into law school..

But thanx for the info and advice

P.S. Good Luck with applications to Schools and the LSAT

vashti
03-10-06, 12:14 PM
Well, our religious views are kinda complex. We just say "atheist" because it makes it simple, and people won't ask questions.

People don't ask questions to either atheists OR true believers because they are opposite sides of the same coin and you will get similar bullshit responses.

King Zarathu
03-10-06, 12:33 PM
People don't ask questions to either atheists OR true believers because they are opposite sides of the same coin and you will get similar bullshit responses.
So what's your point?

vashti
03-10-06, 12:45 PM
Atheists and true believers have much in common. Same extreme arguments, both sides are absolutely certain they know the one and only truth, and both sides will argue to their death about how right they are..

King Zarathu
03-10-06, 12:56 PM
Haha well we're not like that, we're really open-minded. To be honest, I hope that the Christians are right. I really, really hope in the bottom of my heart that there is a God out there, watching over us...even though it's a complete fantasy and total bullshit, I still hope it's true. :lol:

vashti
03-10-06, 10:43 PM
You'd better hope they are wrong, because according to their theology, you are going to Hell for not believing in Jesus.

Gigabitch
03-10-06, 10:46 PM
You'd better hope they are wrong, because according to their theology, you are going to Hell for not believing in Jesus.

He can sit right between you and me.

vashti
03-10-06, 10:51 PM
He can sit right between you and me.

Now that WOULD be Hell, wouldn't it? To spend eternity with the two of us! :evil: