PDA

View Full Version : grammar bashing and such

anachronistic
28-03-07, 12:47 PM
nobody types perfect. we're not word processors, we're human beings. i know that at times, new users tend to be ridiculous in the way they organize their posts; lack of proper punctuation, paragraph formation, e-slang, and many other grammatical things can cause great frustration to anyone who intends to give advice.

i've noticed that quite a few users who join our board are not native english speakers. our loveadmin doesn't even natively speak english. this makes communicating to us more difficult to them, but they're making an attempt. they're trying to get the point across, and we native english speakers need to respect that. if you need to walk on their shoes, go to a foreign board, and try to get help from them! it's harder than you'd think.

quite a few users who join are also in the teenage range. i joined this board, as well as a few other regulars, as a teenager. teens often use e-slang and tend to have lots of grammatical errors. hell, i didn't capitalize anything. that probably frustrates a few people. these teens are going through difficult times, and although their troubles seem ridiculous to us, they don't see them that way. we should be posting in a way that makes them see through our eyes, should we not?

and it really doesn't matter if their teens or foreigners, lazy, fat, smart, stupid, half-baked, or wahtever. they're newcomers, they need our advice, and we should give it to them. that's what i'm here for. that's what WE should be here for.

vashti
28-03-07, 12:49 PM
So, what are you trying to say? :D

anachronistic
28-03-07, 01:01 PM
So, what are you trying to say? :D

to ignore all the grammatical mistakes and read it anyways, or not post anything.

and along with this to post a sticky with an eye-catching short notice that says "the more organized your post is, the more likely it is that you'll get responses"

:)

dono
28-03-07, 01:02 PM
and it really doesn't matter if (1)their teens or foreigners, lazy, fat, smart, stupid, half-baked, or (2)wahtever. they're newcomers, they need our advice, and we should give it to them. that's what i'm here for. that's what WE should be here for.

(1) *they're
(2) *whatever

It doesn't annoy me, it's just that it's funny for me. You're the one making yourself look like a dolt.

anachronistic
28-03-07, 01:10 PM
(1) *they're
(2) *whatever

It doesn't annoy me, it's just that it's funny for me. You're the one making yourself look like a dolt.

well ofcourse it's funny to you. people like me care less about grammar unless i am writing a formal letter, which i proofread. i do occasionally skim through what i type but don't catch every little mistake.

to tell you the truth, i'm quite happy with the way i type, and the only thing that makes reading difficult is the paragraph organization.

anachronistic
28-03-07, 01:12 PM
if i can do it, so can you.

typing things like 'haha if you read that' only make you as lazy as the person that typed the post.

dono
28-03-07, 01:16 PM
well (1)ofcourse it's funny to you. people like me care less about grammar unless i am writing a formal letter, which i proofread. i do occasionally skim through what i type but don't catch every little mistake.

to tell you the truth, i'm quite happy with the way i type, and the only thing that makes reading difficult is the paragraph organization.

(1) *of course

http://i9.tinypic.com/2wbufeh.png

anachronistic
28-03-07, 01:26 PM
haha, that was a cute picture. but let's keep this thread on topic.

TDurden
28-03-07, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't go on a foreign board because I wouldn't be able to speak their language. If they come on here and can barely speak the language of the board , then they shouldn't come on here. Same goes for e-slang. If you're so retarded that you can't even type properly when you try then that's their problem.

It'd be like me joining the army and going "respect my rights as a pacifist!"

anachronistic
28-03-07, 02:08 PM
the foreigners who visit this forum can speak english. just not perfectly.

saying foreigners are not welcome here is discrimination. and e-slang isn't (always) a matter of can and can't.

if you can understand them, why give them shit?

and this is farhtest from the army, son. this forum is made for people who want love advice, not grammatical corrections (which by the way, i'm member of a forum that exclusively helps german people with their english)

just don't tell them 'hey your english sucks', because they're probably aware of it. lots of long posts are generally typed up in a hurry, which is why they're not organized.

Gribble
28-03-07, 02:32 PM
If people can't be bothered to use decent grammar why should I be bothered to pick through their garbage? I'm not asking for perfection. Avoid run-on sentences. Break up your paragraphs. Capitalize your letters. Is that so much to ask? It doesn't take me one second longer to do it.

Gigabitch
29-03-07, 12:18 AM
I will make all manner of concessions for people who aren't native English speakers. I have never ragged on one of them about grammar.

It's the 22-year-old Americans with the run-on sentences that turn into a nine-inch paragraph that bother me.

If i'm gonna see nine inches, I don't want it to be text with no punctuation.

TDurden
29-03-07, 12:56 AM
Oh no she dih'nt

and this is farhtest from the army, son. this forum is made for people who want love advice, not grammatical corrections

That is the worst excuse you could've come up with for e-slangers. Because what that says is that they're not here to speak english, they're not here to communicate accurately, and that they don't actually care enough about what they're saying to take the extra 30 seconds to use proper grammar and spelling. They don't all have to be a Poet Laureate, but capitalization, periods, and actually having paragraphs goes a long way.

For the record, even though the foreign thing can bother me, you've never seen me rag on them for it. Only the e-retards

dono
29-03-07, 01:48 AM
I agree with Ben, Jiggly Giggly, and Spiffy.

anachronistic
02-04-07, 07:34 AM
oh for **** sake. i might as well stick my foot in my mouth to get a point across.

Junket
02-04-07, 07:44 AM
Eh, whateva.

Mel
14-04-07, 04:33 AM
Not a teacher, not perfect, don't judge people. I don't even like telling people off, but some really ask for it.

Love Angel
14-04-07, 04:42 AM
we speak as we like when we like if we like and if it bothers you, then go to another thread..
some fox need to get themselves a travel ticket and see another palce than the US, could be a discovery, like "huh! see there!? there is another world outside!!??" for some it will crave to just walk further than 3 blocks, could help to see soemthing "exotic" compare to their familiar environment.
Maybe going into another pub could be a life experience! talking to different kind..
And dont forget that normality is another word for lacking imagination.

I am french and i spell english better than english from Manchester, so, i must have broken my own record!
'should be in the guiness!

Gigabitch
14-04-07, 05:51 AM
Apparently, there is an educational emergency occuring in Manchester.

Mel
14-04-07, 06:58 AM

Even more of an emergency on here. Too many people wanting to be a poor excuse for being a heatless human being. Not everyone gets a good education, or as smart as others are, but at least they are not a poor excuse of being a human being. They really do have an excuse, while others get their kicks by acting so retarded towards others.

Love Angel
14-04-07, 07:03 AM
Vashti, can we talk? if you dont want to talk with me then say it so.

vashti
14-04-07, 07:16 AM
Wouldn't it be more efficient to talk to "one another" in a mirror?

anachronistic
14-04-07, 07:18 AM
Not a teacher, not perfect, don't judge people. I don't even like telling people off, but some really ask for it.

so basically, you contradicted your own opinion with another opinion all within the same sentence.

congratu-****ing-lations.

you're abusing the slack i was trying to cut for newcomers, you ****ing hypocrite.

Mel
14-04-07, 09:17 AM
Wouldn't it be more efficient to talk to "one another" in a mirror?
No, I don't pick up other peoples bad hibits.

Mel
14-04-07, 09:21 AM
so basically, you contradicted your own opinion with another opinion all within the same sentence.

congratu-****ing-lations.

you're abusing the slack i was trying to cut for newcomers, you ****ing hypocrite.

Thank you !

Junket
14-04-07, 09:30 AM
Wait, is Mel and Love Angel the same person?

Mel
14-04-07, 09:35 AM

No, but, if it will make your day, go ahead and think it. LOL

Tiay
14-04-07, 10:00 AM
what a disagreeable bunch we are!
I agree with lilwing. All he's saying is to try to be nicer to people!
Though I gotta say I personally I don't have much tolerance for e-slang and txt spk. I was recently was messaging an old friend.. and his language had totally changed to e-slang and other 'kool' tricks, such as calling his friends "my homies" (he couldn't be whiter if he bathed in peroxide). gah!

anyway, people are coming here for advice. If you're just going to insult them, or offer your advice in such a rude wording that they wont take it, then you may as well not bother in the first place.

Gigabitch
14-04-07, 10:01 AM
Listen up, noobs. People who show up here and start causing trouble are nothing but trolls. If you don't like the way things are here, try to lead by example. Try to raise the bar, not join in the fray. Starting a flame war will get you nowhere. Believe me when I say you haven't even seen the vicious posters here yet.

You should be glad Cybog is not around. He would eviscerate you both.

Mel
14-04-07, 10:24 AM
Listen up, noobs. People who show up here and start causing trouble are nothing but trolls. If you don't like the way things are here, try to lead by example. Try to raise the bar, not join in the fray. Starting a flame war will get you nowhere. Believe me when I say you haven't even seen the vicious posters here yet.

You should be glad Cybog is not around. He would eviscerate you both.

Well, HELLO SAM ! I didn't come on here attacking people. They attacked me and Love Angel first. We didn't do a damn thing to be treated this way.
I don't start wars, but if I have to fight one, I will.

Love Angel
14-04-07, 10:28 AM
No, I don't pick up other peoples bad hibits.

Gee! that one was high! I mean deep.

WAW! thats a retrospective of your reflection in an upside down oppposition to the object that reflected it in the first palce!

Huh! it ahs now becom la galerie des glaces.. where was that damn exit door??

Love Angel
14-04-07, 10:31 AM
Well, HELLO SAM ! I didn't come on here attacking people. They attacked me and Love Angel first. We didn't do a damn thing to be treated this way.
I don't start wars, but if I have to fight one, I will.

Yeah! I like that one, lets do star wars! you sing the music, I do the fighting!
The power is in us!

PS: I new Supertramp, but where can one get records from Gigabitch?
Does it comes in cd? Is it the same style? Are they even better when its giga?
Just asking.

Love Angel
14-04-07, 10:34 AM

i do agree, i do not get a sentence out of 3.
they forget words and the end of sentences.
Makes no sens at all.
By the way if you insult me again i will have you in a quiz about metaphysic by Aristoteles, german version.

unless you feel to elevated to participate in such a childish game, and decline. We will understand.

Love Angel
14-04-07, 10:42 AM

yes, it spells "Mel Love Angel" and also come as "Angel Love Mel" and for you it will be "Love Angel and Mel".
We are all ONE ONE ONE.
Funny how they are claivoyant in here and could see how close realted we are.
Are you all psychic?

Right now he is Riggs, and I am his Angel.
Yeah, right, the one on his special shoulder, thats why..
i was doing yoga once, but fall on the wrong angle, thats how it happened, but nobody believed him, cause only him can see me. Ya know, like the white rabbit from Hitchcok.
Thats how he became "pissed off" Riggs.
I like that too.

Bon, can we change the subject? We are both philosophers and reflect all the time in one anothers deep thoughts trying to found out the missing link in Baby Russels argumentation.

There is also the possibility that we are about to crack. Some said so here from the very beginning here, but NA, aint going to happen, we aint depress at all, so why should we crack down?

If you dont like my humour or dont get it, it means you are normal.
Congra! :D

Mel
14-04-07, 10:42 AM
Oh, now you did it guys, you have made the tiger mad. Good luck to you ! LOL

Gribble
14-04-07, 11:01 AM
Jesus H. Christ. Someone please remove these pests. I've tried ignoring them but they post over and over in every goddamned thread.

Mel Angel, there's this really great program called AoL Instant Messenger. It's free. You can natter inanely at yourself over AIM to your heart's content. Go download it and have fun.

vashti
14-04-07, 12:27 PM
Jesus H. Christ. Someone please remove these pests. I've tried ignoring them but they post over and over in every goddamned thread.

Mel Angel, there's this really great program called AoL Instant Messenger. It's free. You can natter inanely at yourself over AIM to your heart's content. Go download it and have fun.

Yes, they are annoying. Send a PM to loveadmin. If the regulars complain, he may give them the boot.

loveadmin
14-04-07, 07:07 PM
thread closed.