PDA

View Full Version : Speaking English/Engrish!

TheKissPolice
07-06-07, 05:40 AM
hello everyone,i need help on my english,american english i mean,my boss says i need to work on them more,when i took a test of english as a foreign language i was excellent in all areas except for the speaking area,

it says that i need work on intonation and vocabulary,if you guys have ideas on how i will improve my speaking,i would greatly appreciate it.thank you

Kiechi
07-06-07, 06:02 AM
hello everyone,i need help on my english,american english i mean,my boss says i need to work on them more,when i took a test of english as a foreign language i was excellent in all areas except for the speaking area,

it says that i need work on intonation and vocabulary,if you guys have ideas on how i will improve my speaking,i would greatly appreciate it.thank you

I believe you meant "Innovative". I think the only sure-proof way to build on your speaking really is to... well, speak. Try conversing with others in English, it'll get better over time and your confidence will grow.

Gigabitch
07-06-07, 06:22 AM
I suggest you listen to books being read on CD in English or watch English TV and emulate what you hear.

TheKissPolice
07-06-07, 11:06 PM
I believe you meant "Innovative". I think the only sure-proof way to build on your speaking really is to... well, speak. Try conversing with others in English, it'll get better over time and your confidence will grow.

ur right,confidence is a big factor.i hesitate a lot,worrying about grammar.

TheKissPolice
07-06-07, 11:07 PM
I suggest you listen to books being read on CD in English or watch English TV and emulate what you hear.

my listening skills have always been good,but i never tried emulating,thats a good idea,i will try it.

anachronistic
07-06-07, 11:14 PM
so where do you come from? you can speak english better than many foreigners i know all around the world.

TheKissPolice
07-06-07, 11:21 PM
so where do you come from? you can speak english better than many foreigners i know all around the world.

gee,thanks dude,im from Tokyo,Japan.

anachronistic
07-06-07, 11:31 PM
gee,thanks dude,im from Tokyo,Japan.

how long have you been studying english? i have friends in germany that have been studying for 7 years and still have difficulties with syntax and such.

perhaps the transition from japanese to english is easier than german to english?

TheKissPolice
07-06-07, 11:38 PM
4 years,all our books in college were in english but the language of instruction was in japanese.that is why speaking is really a challenge for me,maybe my interest in american media helped me a lot.
i love females with german and russian accent by the way but my favorite accent would be the ones with that came from new york,oooh sexy.

anachronistic
07-06-07, 11:40 PM
german and russian women are cute. i can speak both languages. :)

TheKissPolice
07-06-07, 11:44 PM
german and russian women are cute. i can speak both languages. :)

oh wow,lucky guy!

anachronistic
07-06-07, 11:48 PM
oh wow,lucky guy!

german is not very difficult to learn for me. i had a 100% in german class last year.

russian is very difficult for me. i am still getting used to the alphabet, and have difficulty pronouncing their long-ass words.

TheKissPolice
07-06-07, 11:54 PM
german is not very difficult to learn for me. i had a 100% in german class last year.

russian is very difficult for me. i am still getting used to the alphabet, and have difficulty pronouncing their long-ass words.

my mentor is fluent in russian,german and spanish and is now learning japanese,america is truly a frightening country.

anachronistic
08-06-07, 12:05 AM
some people take it overboard by learning 5-7 languages. being a translator can be a well-paying job, though. :)

Ephemeral Dream
08-06-07, 12:14 AM
perhaps the transition from japanese to english is easier than german to english?

Not even close.

lovesjoyajm
08-06-07, 01:46 AM
Not even close.

Agreed. Never tried to learn Japanese, but German has a LOT of similarities to English. They don't call English a "germanic" language for no reason.

TheKissPolice - the best way to get better at speaking a language is by speaking it as much as possible. It DOESN'T MATTER if your syntax is bad - people will understand you anyway. The more you speak to other people and listen to them, the more random useful things you will learn about the language and soon you will become used to using them yourself, but the only way to do it is PRACTICE.

If you can find something similar, I recommend a Tandem program, where you can be paired with an English speaker who's learning Japanese, and spend half your time together speaking English, half in Japanese. That way you both get to practice, and it's a pretty low-pressure situation. I have two such partners for German and even though I've gotten past the point (FINALLY) where I'm shy talking to new people because of the language barrier, it's very good to have someone who you know will help you and give you suggestions.

anachronistic
08-06-07, 01:54 AM
Agreed. Never tried to learn Japanese, but German has a LOT of similarities to English. They don't call English a "germanic" language for no reason.

TheKissPolice - the best way to get better at speaking a language is by speaking it as much as possible. It DOESN'T MATTER if your syntax is bad - people will understand you anyway. The more you speak to other people and listen to them, the more random useful things you will learn about the language and soon you will become used to using them yourself, but the only way to do it is PRACTICE.

If you can find something similar, I recommend a Tandem program, where you can be paired with an English speaker who's learning Japanese, and spend half your time together speaking English, half in Japanese. That way you both get to practice, and it's a pretty low-pressure situation. I have two such partners for German and even though I've gotten past the point (FINALLY) where I'm shy talking to new people because of the language barrier, it's very good to have someone who you know will help you and give you suggestions.

yes, if you look around on the internet for forums (if you spoke german you could go to http://www.englisch-hilfen.de) and find people to chat with. many people want to also learn japanese, so you could do one of those things where they speak to you in japanese and you respond to them in english. i do that with many germans and russians.

TheKissPolice
09-06-07, 01:05 AM

nice,thanks

Junket
09-06-07, 01:09 AM
Do you have Teamspeak? Download that and we can talk, and you can try to learn from that.

Kiechi
09-06-07, 01:23 AM
I'm planning on learnin' Japanese in september and Italian during my leisure time.

anachronistic
09-06-07, 01:31 AM
I'm planning on learnin' Japanese in september and Italian during my leisure time.

i tried to teach myself the japanese alphabet. i first learned hirogana, then katakana... and when i found out that there was a 3rd alphabet called "kanji" and it consisted of than 2000 letters, i said **** that.

Kiechi
09-06-07, 01:32 AM
i tried to teach myself the japanese alphabet. i first learned hirogana, then katakana... and when i found out that there was a 3rd alphabet called "kanji" and it had more than 2000 letters, i said **** that.

Great Lilwing, I'm looking well forward to Uni now haha.

anachronistic
09-06-07, 01:34 AM
Great Lilwing, I'm looking well forward to Uni now haha.

you're just graduating high school? aren't you like 24?

you might like the 2000 letter alphabet. with someone, like a college professor teaching you, also might make it more fun.

Kiechi
09-06-07, 01:41 AM
you're just graduating high school? aren't you like 24?

you might like the 2000 letter alphabet. with someone, like a college professor teaching you, also might make it more fun.

anachronistic
09-06-07, 01:43 AM
HAHAHA, that means you are in the same grade as me :D

Kiechi
09-06-07, 01:46 AM
HAHAHA, that means you are in the same grade as me :D

Yeah, I don't see why that's funny though.

anachronistic
09-06-07, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I don't see why that's funny though.

me neither. o_0

Ephemeral Dream
09-06-07, 06:01 AM
I want to learn German... I'm almost fluent in french... sort of anyway.

anachronistic
09-06-07, 06:03 AM
I want to learn German... I'm almost fluent in french... sort of anyway.

:-/ I am fluent in german, so if you can speak a little german i can help.

TheKissPolice
10-06-07, 07:37 AM
Do you have Teamspeak? Download that and we can talk, and you can try to learn from that.

dude i just downloaded it,its pretty cool

Jessi
07-08-07, 11:20 AM
can u explain me a little more about that program: teamspeak,?
i have the same problem, i found it difficult to speak ,and i don`t have anyone to speak with here, i only speak while i am in my english classes... and i have to sit for the fce in december :horror:

thanks in advance :)

anachronistic
07-08-07, 11:21 AM
which language is your native?

Jessi
07-08-07, 11:31 AM
my native language is spanish !
:D

anachronistic
07-08-07, 11:39 AM
yo hablo no espanol. tengo el gato los pantelones.

tut mir leid, meine Liebe. Ich möchte dich hilfen doch ich kann nicht gut Spanisch sprechen.

whoa.

Jessi
07-08-07, 11:55 AM
jajaja
no entendi un joraca de lo q escribiste...

well, no problem...
thanks for your help

jessi

anachronistic
07-08-07, 12:09 PM
no comprendo. hey, i am sure that someone on here would be interested in chatting. we do after all have spanish speaking members.

Jessi
07-08-07, 12:35 PM
:lol:

ok, thanks for ur help !

Jimmy1218
07-08-07, 02:50 PM
Just watch lots of TV and socialize by speaking english like going to churches.

northernmonkey
17-09-07, 08:16 PM
I recommend just hanging around with as many english/american people as possible if you really want to get to grasp with proper english though I recommend hanging around with us brits no offence to the americans on this site but its true!! The more people you hang around with who are english the quicker and easier it is to pick up more coliquial english

N

boobaa
23-09-07, 12:39 AM
If you don't live in english speaking country, start playing those online games where they have mics. I used to play some and my vocal english improved.

DarkDwarf
24-09-07, 10:07 AM
If you don't live in english speaking country, start playing those online games where they have mics. I used to play some and my vocal english improved.

Thats a very good suggestion.

Jessi
08-10-07, 03:00 AM
thanks everybody for ur help
if someone wants to chat with me , my msn is :
yeyi.07@hotmail.com
:)

kisses!