PDA

View Full Version : Singing

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I realize it's a pretty non-manly hobby, but I guess so are, amung other things (cooking and art).

But seriously, this time i've really taken a liking to singing & music in general. It all started when two friends of mine who are both very musically talented came over my house to hang out one night, and they started singing in my back-yard. It was great, very relaxing, guitar, piano, and two very talented voices, when I realized, I wanted to be a part of that.

I dunno.. I guess i've always felt like I was very boring, like there was nothing fun to me, so this was something simple, yet something that I could do socially too. Like, I could always call a musician party together, and socially play music and sing, it was fun.

Anyway, so I tried singing, and obviously it was a disaster, (to say I sucked would be an understatement). It was just so horrible, that I felt sad and depressed for weeks. But i'm not giving up, I really want to do this, no matter how much I suffer.

So, i've made it my goal to learn to sing, play the piano, and the guitar. I know, it's a bar set rather up there, but I'm determined to do it. I am however, very musically challenged/retarded. So I was wondering if anyone here has tried this sort of thing before, or if anyone actually sings or plays an instrument (not including the hairy banjo) and can share some of their experiences from how it was starting out, and how the journey was along the way to finally being good at it.

Much thanks in advance.

:french:

misombra
02-10-07, 12:12 PM
just do it.

sing. get an instrument and learn how to play it.

about 15 (omg) years ago i decided the same thing and i'm proficient and piano, guitar, and voice.

it just takes practice. if you love to do it it won't be hard.

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 12:20 PM
just do it.

sing. get an instrument and learn how to play it.

about 15 (omg) years ago i decided the same thing and i'm proficient and piano, guitar, and voice.

it just takes practice. if you love to do it it won't be hard.

How hard was in the beginning to learn it all.. especially voice.. like.. for piano and guitar.. i'm not worried, caz they are both digital instruments.. so.. if I learn the chords.. i can play... but like.. How hard was it at first to learn music, to ear train, and to learn to control & develop your voice? How long did it take? How many hours of beating yourself & self-loathing did u have to endure?

misombra
02-10-07, 12:28 PM
you have to have patience with yourself, and understand that you're not going to be jimmy page over night.

it takes time and practice.

i didn't take any lessons or anything, but i learned as much as i could from other people. you have to listen and pay attention, and then put it into practice.

if you keep practicing, you'll keep noticing yourself getting better.

i didn't endure any self-loathing and neither should you.

practice. respect those that know more than you. have patience with yourself.

you can do anything based on that.

misombra
02-10-07, 12:32 PM
oh your questions lol...

How hard was it at first to learn music- it was challenging, but the longer you keep up with it, the better you get...

to ear train- that comes naturally when you learn music...

and to learn to control & develop your voice- i've been singing since i was a small child, so it wasn't hard. i'm still learning and developing. that's the thing about music, it's endless.

How long did it take? How many hours of beating yourself & self-loathing did u have to endure?

like i said before, i'm still learning.

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 12:36 PM
you have to have patience with yourself, and understand that you're not going to be jimmy page over night.

it takes time and practice.

i didn't take any lessons or anything, but i learned as much as i could from other people. you have to listen and pay attention, and then put it into practice.

if you keep practicing, you'll keep noticing yourself getting better.

i didn't endure any self-loathing and neither should you.

practice. respect those that know more than you. have patience with yourself.

you can do anything based on that.

I guess it's a new approach to learning alltogether..

See.. Learning Math, Statistics, Economics, Accounting, and then Law and even Cooking... you sort of study, and learn, on the spot, almost instantly, and you either get it, or you don't.

So, comming from those backrounds, I guess I get very scarred when I don't get it at first.. because it almost makes me feel like i'm not cut out for it, or that it's not working. But I guess you're right.. it's one of those things that will take time, and won't happen in a matter of 1 week. Thanks.

I don't want to bother any of my friends over this. And I don't want to sing like professionally or anything, just for fun, with them, or during holidays when there are kids around, it's fun. But i guess i'll start looking to someone to hire to teach me.. or maybe sign up for a course or class at some local college/university.

vashti
02-10-07, 12:37 PM
Your voice doesn't have to be beautiful; you just have to be able to carry a tune. (Have you listened to the music on the radio?) If you can't carry a tune, I don't know if/how you can learn that...

As for the guitar or piano - practice.

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 12:39 PM
Your voice doesn't have to be beautiful; you just have to be able to carry a tune. (Have you listened to the music on the radio?) If you can't carry a tune, I don't know if/how you can learn that...

As for the guitar or piano - practice.

lol.. thanks vash... love the shoes btw.. very sexy..

misombra
02-10-07, 12:40 PM
I

See.. Learning Math, Statistics, Economics, Accounting, and then Law and even Cooking... you sort of study, and learn, on the spot, almost instantly, and you either get it, or you don't.

music is a lot like all those things.

have you ever heard this quote?

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

-confucius

vashti
02-10-07, 12:40 PM
Thanks!

:)

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 12:44 PM
Thanks!

:)

you know.. i'll have to take a new pic just for you, misombra & gigabitch... i'll post it on the gallery... i guess i'll hold a little flash-card or something.. lol

ur like my favorite 3 users from back in the day..

vashti
02-10-07, 12:47 PM
Good idea! Post a picture. Too bad you can't attach a video of yourself singing...

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 12:57 PM
Good idea! Post a picture. Too bad you can't attach a video of yourself singing...

yeah.. i don't want to get banned for having all the people on loveforum leave the site after I post a video of something like that... but after I can actually sing.. i'll do so... what's funny is I spent like $400 on a condenser microphone.. and I can't even sing yet.. lol

misombra
02-10-07, 01:00 PM
you can look on google for singing techniques.

some of the more important are pushing air from your diaphragm and imagining air in your head.

also following a good singer who's in your range is good. you have to find out what your range is. do you sing low? high? in between?

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 01:13 PM
you can look on google for singing techniques.

some of the more important are pushing air from your diaphragm and imagining air in your head.

also following a good singer who's in your range is good. you have to find out what your range is. do you sing low? high? in between?

well.. so far.. the only thing I can sing, is "Music of the Night" and I sing it really well, because i've pretty much got a hang on falsetto... and my voice has quite a bit of natural bass to it.. so my projection is naturally good... but everything still needs work.. i'm still not 100% happy with how I sound.. and I'd like to sing other songs besides that... I know it's only been 1 week.. so it'll take time..

vashti
02-10-07, 01:24 PM
That song was made for a tenor, no? Pretty impressive song... that's not like singing "Hey ya".... :D

GrkScorp
02-10-07, 01:28 PM
That song was made for a tenor, no? Pretty impressive song... that's not like singing "Hey ya".... :D

yeah.. that's what one of my friends said my voice was.. a tenor..

would like to sing a bit lower.. but can't.. can't go that low.. : (

vashti
02-10-07, 09:55 PM
Nonsense! Luciano Pavarotti was a tenor, and his voice was a thing of beauty!

misombra
02-10-07, 10:06 PM
:(. luciano. :( :( :(

GrkScorp
03-10-07, 01:26 AM
Yeah... lol.. I know i'm crazy.. but i'd like to be a bit realistic too with my expectations..

Luciano was huge, which ment his lungs could take in alot of air, which means he could use vibrato with ease.. that's never EVER going to be me.. lol.. i'm too small frame to get my lungs that big, even with practice & stretches.. lol

But we'll see... I passed my phase of "oh this is pointless, i'm never going to learn to sing..".. lol... which is good.. now I just have to look for a systematic way to approach it... So.. I guess i'll be looking for a vocal instructor or some course/class someplace around NY... I'm sure there's SOMETHING!

misombra
03-10-07, 01:44 AM
google "vocal techniques."

GrkScorp
03-10-07, 01:55 AM
google "vocal techniques."

omg.. thank you!!! wow.. all this stuff is amazing.. and is certain to drop my Law School GPA down to a 1.0!!! lol... i'm just kidding.. school comes first... but I can definately put my microphone to good use now with something to work towards on my spare time... Thank you so much!!!

When I post that pic.. you'll be the first name up there.. lol..

misombra
03-10-07, 02:41 AM
you're in law school?

::jealous::

Gigabitch
03-10-07, 02:55 AM
Grk, please remember that you don't actually know exactly how you sound. Your own voice sounds different to other people.

It's too bad you're a city boy, because the best place to practice singing is in the car, IMO. No one can hear you, and you can really let loose.

Heh, I remember a class I once took. It was Group Voice. I though it would be a nice way to get back into singing, which I hadn't done since high school. I imagined a group of people, singing.

Wrong.

It was a group of people listening while we sang solo, one by one. We chose five songs each to work on over the semester, and sang them over and over in front of large groups and small.

Small print is very important.

btw, "hairy banjo" still has me cracking up.

GrkScorp
03-10-07, 02:56 AM
you're in law school?

::jealous::

Don't be at all.. The growth of Real GPD is almost twice as high as the growth of labor demand in the legal sector, which means that law school graduates will be left without a job after graduation.

I read an article in the wall street journal about this attorney who graduated from Yale, top 5% of his class, and couldn't find work for 1.5 years.. He had to review contracts for $20 an hour, and ended up finding a permanent job after 1.5 for only $50,000 a year, with minimum benefits, and $150,000 in student loans to pay back! He said most of his friends who were not even lawyers (Plumbers, Contractors, Teachers, etc.) were making almost double than what he was, and had no student loans to pay back.

But.. here is what will happen.. Since the demand it low, Law firms will start to reflect this in their new graduate pools.. and offer lower salaries.. As a result.. less people will apply to law school after realizing that lawyers don't make money anymore. When that happens, the supply of lawyers will fall.. and will meet the actual demand of lawyers needed.. When that occurs, the salary of lawyers will stabalize.. to slightly higher than $82,000 on average nationally by year (2013).

Ehh.. it's ok.. i'm not worried.. unlike those people practicing what I obnoxiously label as (loser law), i'm studying Taxation & Securities Regulation. Since Accounting Firms have grown so large over the past years, they are looking for new ways to cut costs, (namely, keeping salary attorneys working for the company, instead of constantly hiring outside law firms). Now, the hard part about an Accounting firm finding an Attorney is (finding one who knows about Accounting and issues surrounding their line of work).

Well, luckily for me, i'm already an Accountant, and i've worked in that kind of environment before in the shoes of an Accountant, so i'll fit right in.. Like it was ment to be... And Big-4 accounting firms pay slightly more than Law firms in NY (and less hours/week, with more job respect) [at a law firm, you're just an other attorney, but at an accounting firm, you're "the attorney" : ) ].. So, anything that's going on in the Legal Sector in general, or in the Economy as a whole, doesn't worry me a great deal.. i've planned WAY in ADVANCE for where i'd be after graduation.. lol

GrkScorp
03-10-07, 03:08 AM
Grk, please remember that you don't actually know exactly how you sound. Your own voice sounds different to other people.

It's too bad you're a city boy, because the best place to practice singing is in the car, IMO. No one can hear you, and you can really let loose.

Heh, I remember a class I once took. It was Group Voice. I though it would be a nice way to get back into singing, which I hadn't done since high school. I imagined a group of people, singing.

Wrong.

It was a group of people listening while we sang solo, one by one. We chose five songs each to work on over the semester, and sang them over and over in front of large groups and small.

Small print is very important.

btw, "hairy banjo" still has me cracking up.

Yeah.. I totally agree.. I just want to burst out with on-the-spot lyrics sometimes in class..

Q: So, what do you think?

:starts signing: "In all my years of service, never have I saw; someone more deserving the full penalty of law!".. lol.. (that's not original btw.. it's from Roger Water's & Pink Floyd's movie "The Wall").

But I agree.. If you don't feel good about your voice yet.. when you try to sing in front of other people, you get nervous, you start to feel the constriction.. you take down your volume.. and you sound even more like crap..

And that's counterproductive.. because then you try to sing back at home.. and you're now less confident about yourself.. lol..

So I try to not sing around people yet.. when they ask me.. I tell them.. "when I can actually sing, i'll sing for you".. and that's the end of that.. blunt and to the point..

But i'm excited.. it's definately something fun, it's something I want to do, and it'll give something a little extra to every holiday/seasonal party..

misombra
03-10-07, 03:15 AM
yeah. all those things scare me about it. those are the same reasons i won't be reapplying this year. i actually felt relieved that i didn't get in. but someday i'd like to try again.

i saw phantom of the opera on broadway. it was absolutely incredible.

where's that pic g-scorp?!

GrkScorp
03-10-07, 03:29 AM
yeah. all those things scare me about it. those are the same reasons i won't be reapplying this year. i actually felt relieved that i didn't get in. but someday i'd like to try again.

i saw phantom of the opera on broadway. it was absolutely incredible.

where's that pic g-scorp?!

comming up... lol... i promise..

Well.. where did u apply? and with what criteria? What kind of law interested you?

I know when I first applied.. I wanted to do a J.D./M.B.A., I was applying to Univ. of Chicago, Univ. of Penn, Columbia, NYU, and Cornell...

Well, I was accepted to Columbia's J.D./M.B.A. and the rest as they say is history... After the first year went by, I changed my mind.. I didn't want to do Corporate Law anymore.. It was boring.. and too adversarial, plus.. Taxation & Securities was more rewarding and complemented my prior backround better... and the M.B.A. was going to be a waste of 1 year that would not add to anything.. So my initial plans had changed completely..

So, if you had a fixed game plan.. just be prepared to have everything change... lol

I would still like to know your story though.. and possibly help out on your new admissions essay if you are still thinking of re-applying..

misombra
05-10-07, 09:58 PM
thanks g-scorp. i'll pm you with details.

here's another thing that may help you. to sing you have to learn diaphragmatic breathing. you can google that too. you have to put wind in your pipes to blow them.

GrkScorp
06-10-07, 02:39 AM
thanks g-scorp. i'll pm you with details.

here's another thing that may help you. to sing you have to learn diaphragmatic breathing. you can google that too. you have to put wind in your pipes to blow them.

lol.. thanks again.. i'll give in a shot in about a week or so... maybe longer..

i'm just feeling slightly down lately.. maybe it's just seasonal as winter is kicking in... but singing & mild depression don't mix.. especially when you can't sing.. lol... so i'm going to lay off of it for a good week or so..
:french:

Tedel
04-12-07, 04:38 AM
Hey! Aren't you dreaming? He says he just wants to learn how to sing and now you're mentioning Pavarotti?

Grk... Music is easy. You just need to feel it. With an hour a day you can get something decent in two months or less.

From there you will have to build a lot, of course... and I do mean a lot; but for a start, the best tip is not to try to be too demanding with yourself right from the start.

If you want to feel better, go to a Karaoke bar and discover there are dozens of people who sing worse than you will ever do and still enjoy it :D

I sing, play the flute and the guitar, and I don't do it bad. There's no need to suffer.