PDA

View Full Version : The "F" word. Vote it back in, or vote to keep it out.

Junket
29-10-07, 02:47 AM
Personally I think it's silly to have a single curse word censored. Not only that, I think most people would prefer to choose whether or not they should be allowed the use of it.

After all, most people that come here are usually over the age of 18. So clearly we're dealing with adults.

I vote the "f" word back in.

GrkScorp
29-10-07, 02:55 AM
Personally I think it's silly to have a single curse word censored. Not only that, I think most people would prefer to choose whether or not they should be allowed the use of it.

After all, most people that come here are usually over the age of 18. So clearly we're dealing with adults.

there u go.. you have my support.. lol

Kiechi
29-10-07, 03:31 AM

I personally don't see why anyone would need to use offensive language on the board anyhow... and seeing as this isn't an age restricted forum nor private as public viewing is enabled, no doubt minors will stumble across.

I vote no.

vashti
29-10-07, 04:49 AM
I think we DO get kids here, but I don't care... they probably all use more offensive language than most adults do. Still, I haven't missed the "F" word, and even before the ban, I was self-editing, anyway. I don't much care one way or the other, so I will abstain from voting.

Illusional
29-10-07, 05:58 AM
i think i started swearing in about 4th grade... yet today children are getting pregnant at that age...

censorship only leads to curiosity, which does explain why so many children want to have sex at a young age.

raverboy

Tedel
29-10-07, 09:44 PM
Isn't f*ck a medieval word that means fornication under consent of the king? It's an historical word! Bring it in! :D

anachronistic
29-10-07, 11:11 PM
people know what is behind the asterisks. might as well take 'em down and do the proper moderating instead.

Gigabitch
29-10-07, 11:13 PM
Personally, I enjoy the asterisks. I think they're hilarious, and I freely drop the word **** into every other sentence now, much more often than I used to.

I find it to be very freeing.

Junket
29-10-07, 11:15 PM
Personally, I enjoy the asterisks. I think they're hilarious, and I freely drop the word **** into every other sentence now, much more often than I used to.

I find it to be very freeing.

You're killin' me Giga.

Your vote is worth like 2, and you went to the lightside?

Vader would be disappointed.

Gigabitch
29-10-07, 11:19 PM
Considering that **** is the ONLY edited word, doesn't that make you want to use others more often? Think of all the descriptive epithets out there, just awaiting use. How about pestilent ballsack or wretched twat?

anachronistic
30-10-07, 07:14 AM
How about pestilent ballsack or wretched twat?

who really talks like that? honestly? try saying that shit to yourself in the mirror; you'll sound like a pasty white englishman.

Junket
30-10-07, 01:20 PM
I think we DO get kids here, but I don't care... they probably all use more offensive language than most adults do. Still, I haven't missed the "F" word, and even before the ban, I was self-editing, anyway. I don't much care one way or the other, so I will abstain from voting.

C'mon Vashti, you should vote it back in! ALT+0250 is getting tiresome.

Gigabitch
31-10-07, 05:42 AM
who really talks like that? honestly? try saying that shit to yourself in the mirror; you'll sound like a pasty white englishman.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

IndiReloaded
31-10-07, 05:54 AM
Well, I say in b/c I think ppl should self-edit. And there are times when the word is good for effect. Besides its not like the web is FCC regulated or anything (yet).

anachronistic
31-10-07, 06:51 AM
Well, I say in b/c I think ppl should self-edit. And there are times when the word is good for effect. Besides its not like the web is FCC regulated or anything (yet).

i dare the FCC to even try to regulate the internet. i double-dare those motherfückers.

i think it's impossible.

IndiReloaded
31-10-07, 08:04 AM
i dare the FCC to even try to regulate the internet. i double-dare those motherfückers.

i think it's impossible.

Nice one. lkfidiodn10char,chajfiot

anachronistic
31-10-07, 10:50 PM
Nice one. lkfidiodn10char,chajfiot

is that a brand new cuss word, or did you smack your head on the keyboard, or wait...

is there a sublime message in there?

IndiReloaded
01-11-07, 04:53 AM
is that a brand new cuss word, or did you smack your head on the keyboard, or wait...

is there a sublime message in there?

Hardly sublime, lol. I hate the min word limit. And, of course, I can't say 'I hate the ****ing word limit', due to overzealous editing of naughty language.

Junket
01-11-07, 05:00 AM
Hardly sublime, lol. I hate the min word limit.

I've mentioned the word limit to Admin, but he didn't wanna change it.

We've amended that issue with "______"

anachronistic
01-11-07, 11:48 AM
I've mentioned the word limit to Admin, but he didn't wanna change it.

We've amended that issue with "______"

there is a word limit (both a minimum and maximum) for a reason. it might be annoying, but it is to prevent more annoying things from happening.

Illusional
01-11-07, 12:45 PM
**** **** **** **** **** **** ****.... now did i really swear or are those just asterisks that i took the time to type out to mess with your minds...

raverboy

anachronistic
01-11-07, 02:44 PM
**** **** **** **** **** **** ****.... now did i really swear or are those just asterisks that i took the time to type out to mess with your minds...

raverboy

the only way to tell would be to go through the sql database and look at the submitted record..

anyhow, i bet you just typed f u c k all the times, ya lazy bastard.

Illusional
02-11-07, 05:21 PM
there's nothing wrong with being lazy.

raverboy

anachronistic
03-11-07, 04:31 PM
there's nothing wrong with being lazy.

raverboy

aye! he admits to it!

Moonchild
04-11-07, 01:35 PM
there is a word limit (both a minimum and maximum) for a reason. it might be annoying, but it is to prevent more annoying things from happening.

Still, you'd think the PM max word limit could be a /little/ higher. Ask Gribble--I had to respond to one of his PMs in two parts. One of Giga's in three, though I'm not sure she read all that. XD And it gets weird when you're talking to someone, and as you're sending the second part of a message, they're sending their response to the first part, and then to the second, and all of a sudden you're having two conversations with the same person.

For the 'F' word? I couldn't care less. I don't use it unless I'm in character for a roleplay, but it doesn't offend me when other people use it, either.

Illusional
05-11-07, 03:38 AM
aye! he admits to it!

c'mon, you doesn't like to enjoy a lazy sunday from time to time??

raverboy

jane
12-11-07, 11:17 AM
WTF??? You cant say the "f" word here anymore?

Illusional
12-11-07, 11:54 AM
see, when you're too busy trying to get laid with married men, you miss a lot of what goes on around here huh??

raverboy

jane
13-11-07, 09:22 AM
nice raver... lol...

Cain
03-04-08, 01:33 PM
Whatever happened to this vote? I see the word is still censored 5 months later. :o

Illusional
03-04-08, 02:16 PM
obviously our votes didn't count for anything.

raverboy

anachronistic
03-04-08, 02:32 PM
I think la still stands by his opinion, but I think language should only be censored according to age.

My linguistics theory is that someone notices the censored words, they will inquire it. It does not really change the context in which the word is used, and therefore censorship is just a cheap attempt to eliminate the context behind the meaning of such offensive phrases.

If you really want to get rid of that, script the damn forum so that it says "I love you" when you say "fück you" (minus the umlaut marks) It's still cheap, but it covers up the context a lot more. Sure, you still get that incognito from the way it's expressed, but then again, language is so complicating that censorship really has no control over the use of it.

Junket
04-04-08, 12:39 PM
Censorship is for faggots.

Illusional
04-04-08, 12:42 PM
if the news talks about rape and murder, why can't we use the f word??

raverboy

Gigabitch
05-04-08, 04:11 AM
Maybe we should cease and desist with the use of ALL four-letter words, including everyday words like "soap" and "beer".

misombra
05-04-08, 04:35 AM
i don't give a f*uck.

Kiechi
05-04-08, 07:58 AM
Oh please people, does actually matter THAT much?!

Illusional
05-04-08, 10:07 AM
Oh please people, **** actually matter **** ****?!

**** do you think??

raverboy

Kiechi
05-04-08, 10:29 AM
**** do you think??

raverboy

Well, seeing as your "improved" version wouldn't make sense it generally just fails in logic.

Therefore, my question still stands:

Does it actually MATTER?

Illusional
05-04-08, 10:35 AM
of course it matters. it's like taking out any other commonly used word of the english vocabulary.

raverboy

squirrley
05-04-08, 08:03 PM
I would say bring it back. I personally love the F word and drop the F bomb occassionaly. Now, censorship does suck in my opinion. Why was the word removed anyway? So what if there are kids under the age of 18 in here? Today, and years ago, we were giving advice to KIDS I mean persons of the age of like 14, not known to us at the time. But it goes to show TODAY is not what it was 10 years ago.

I remember when TV started broadcasting DAMN in their shows, and now its a hell of alot more than that being broadcasted. Its freedom of speech.

vashti
05-04-08, 09:28 PM
Well, seeing as your "improved" version wouldn't make sense it generally just fails in logic.

Therefore, my question still stands:

Does it actually MATTER?

Nope, not to me. Besides, people who want to say it still figure out a way.

Illusional
06-04-08, 02:45 AM
and every other 9 year old used this world already...

raverboy

vashti
06-04-08, 12:14 PM
Stop your fcuking whining, raverboy.

Illusional
06-04-08, 12:45 PM
i'm going to whine if i want to because i want to.

raverboy

boobaa
06-04-08, 07:17 PM
I have the freedom to express myself. So how can I express ultimate anger or disgust if its censored? I am already sick of seeing those four stars under my name.

Here is a test: CUNT.

Oh, it works! Nevermind, carry on your daily habits...

Illusional
07-04-08, 04:08 AM
the only word that is censored is the stupid f word.

raverboy

RSK
07-04-08, 05:50 PM
**** **** **** ****... (just to see if it works or not)

RSK
07-04-08, 05:51 PM
pretty nifty! so, **** <--- when ever you see four stars, it's probably the word **** censored, or in a very unlikely case, it's just 4 stars! hehe

IndiReloaded
08-04-08, 12:54 AM
I actually find the asterixes useful. Then I KNOW I need to read the post b/c someone is venting hard. ;)

Kiechi
09-04-08, 10:35 AM
Theres only one thing to say...

...WWSD?

Mish
11-04-08, 03:21 PM
Fuuuuck - That can be even more useufl. Just add the amout of u's that = the amount of frustration

loveadmin
18-04-08, 01:35 PM
Just be creative if you really need to emphasise on the four letter so much.

fuucck is another good try.

Thread closed.