PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a $500 Laptop...

Junket
29-01-08, 06:53 AM
...with my credit card, which means I'm gonna hate my bill when it comes.

I've managed to pay off my bills in full every month, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't split this one up into a few payments since I don't know when I'll have my next job after I quit this one after Thursday.

I don't like making big purchases like this on whim, but I'll need a laptop when I move to New Orleans, so I made sure it has Wi-Fi b/g, and I might buy a Wi-Fi N card later on.

I know this laptop is going to be a worthwhile investment, but the other part of me really didn't want to make a big purchase right before unemployment and a move. I've done well so far to committing myself to only purchasing what I can actually afford and as a result, save as much as I can.

March starts the end of my grace period to start paying my $2,100.00 student loan.

That's not bad I know.

Anybody else into pinching pennies?

Tiay
29-01-08, 07:59 AM
I went totally broke last summer, so i'm living on my student grant right now, which is pretty tight.
What kind of laptop is it? I say get yourself some good personal finance software and run it on the laptop (: there's an app called deptinator for mac where you tell it everything about your debts and such and it works out the best way to pay them off. I'm sure there's an equivalent of that for windows too.

anachronistic
29-01-08, 08:12 AM
I have always been on a tight squeeze when it comes to money. I'm from a poor family and trying to make something for myself, though.

This summer I'll have to save up for when I move to Germany. I'll be working overtime and all sorts of shit. It's going to suck, but well worth it.

Illusional
29-01-08, 02:26 PM
the shitty part about not paying off your card bills in full is where the interest starts to hit you. by the time that you're done paying for all your bills, who knows how much more money you will have paid due to interest.

and since you're into saving money, i think BK introduced a dollar menu, just like mcdonalds.

raverboy

vashti
29-01-08, 11:29 PM
It sucks to be in debt. I'm sure you will pay this off as soon as you can.

Junket
11-02-08, 04:56 AM
Well, I just found out that neither Wachovia, or Bank of America have banks in New Orleans, or Louisiana at all.

Which means, I'll probably withdraw my funds from Wachovia and put them in either of the two major banks here, Capital One, or Chase. Both of which I do have credit cards with.

Anyway, this laptop is awesome. Even though I can't play any crazy games on here, the fact I can be on the internet is invaluable.