PDA

View Full Version : I'm Starting to Overcome My Fear-

Junket
13-04-08, 01:49 AM
- of heights.

Not by choice. It's just at this new job site, there's work to be done on the roof of this building, and the ceilings are really high, which require having to either use lifts, or get up on 12 foot ladders.

It's not that I dislike heights any less, it's just, I don't have much of a choice. My boss has asked me if I'm afraid of heights, and I don't lie, but as quick as I am to answer "yes", I'm also chargin' up the ladder.

My hands start to sweat, and my legs start to stiffen.

I try my best to stay relaxed and "fluid", but it's hard.

They've also had me pulling up and dropping the equipment from the 20 foot high roof without any support, which requires me to stand over the edge of the building.

My hands are sweating just thinking about it.

AAAAHHHH!

But what can you do?

vashti
13-04-08, 01:58 AM
My fear of heights has evolved into full-blown panic attacks. It's good to get this under control now by desensitizing yourself.

misombra
13-04-08, 02:17 AM
i love heights. supposedly we have good conditions for wind gliding i want to try that. or maybe ski gliding! lol.

vashti
13-04-08, 02:20 AM
You are crazy. Wild and crazy.

misombra
13-04-08, 02:26 AM
YouTube - Ski-Gliding the Eiger

bluesummer
13-04-08, 02:35 AM
Heights, oh god no.

My friend made me go on the Big Shot on top of the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas.....and I cried the whole time. It was freakin awful.

misombra
13-04-08, 02:42 AM
aaaaaaaajajaaaa i laugh at people like you. i had a friend cry on that ride at 6 flags where you go up really high in a chair and get dropped.

aaaaajaaaja i rode that thing a million times.

vashti
13-04-08, 02:52 AM
I'd be the person puking on the people watching from below.

Charlie Boy II
13-04-08, 02:53 AM
Do these guys have proper health and safety standards in place? I worked in an oil refinery for a year and they were fanatical. But smaller operators, I know, can be dodgy. You wanna make sure they're looking out for you.

Gigabitch
13-04-08, 05:02 AM
Yeah, I'm worried about that too. No Fras-cakes on the sidewalk, please.

Junket
14-04-08, 02:40 AM
They'll only cover half of your personal insurance.

Of which I don't have.

I'm only getting paid 10 bucks an hour right now. Though, I think next month I should be getting a 2 dollar raise.

Anyway, I went skydiving before and loved it.

And I enjoy rollercoasters because my fear of heights increase the adrenaline rush.

I just don't feel as safe leaning over a ledge or up on a 12 foot ladder.

DoesntMatter
14-04-08, 06:46 AM
If I was there I would push you off the ladder Fras ;)

Illusional
14-04-08, 06:59 AM
when it comes to heights, i think that it's more of a mental thing. when you realize that you won't fall because you're got that harness, you'll be fine.

raverboy

Junket
15-04-08, 10:07 AM
Harness?

Who said anything about a harness??

1averagejoe
15-04-08, 12:14 PM
It's all mental. You need to become desensitized. When you start to think stuff along the lines of, "what if I do slip" or "wow, i'm up high" that's when you'll stumble and screw up. Just don't over think it and you'll eventually get used to it.

IndiReloaded
15-04-08, 01:05 PM
Rent the old Hitchcock flix 'Vertigo', Fras.

boobaa
15-04-08, 10:19 PM
I love heights.

Viewed from below, that is.

But I think I can still stand up against it if I really want.