PDA

View Full Version : Dressing and Style

okapa
18-04-08, 01:03 AM
Hey people, I'm a male, 16 years old, high school.

I've decided I want to change my looks again, in terms of clothing. It's not that my clothes look bad or something, I always have like 5 girls complimenting me everytime I buy a new t-shirt or something (combined with 5 guys calling me metrossexual, but who cares) but I just don't feel right with my clothes.

I only buy what I love. It's like a feeling, I walk in a shop, take 2 minutes to look at everything and decide if I want anything. Most of the times, I don't like more than one piece of clothing in the same shopping.

But the problem is that I've stopped liking my current style. I don't like my clothes anymore. I dress in t-shirt or sweaters with lots of applications, S-sized, shining things, original. I add some jeans which are usually dark colored (either blue or black), sometimes with something on it to make it stand out.

I use Vans and that sort of shoes but I've fed up with them, they look like children shoes.

I wouldn't normally be posting this here, but I want some oppinions on what sort of clothings I should buy. I'm very picky, I usually imagine what I want to wear and go looking for something that looks alike, albeit I'm almost always unsuccesfull at that.

Should I go for a more mature style? Most girls I hang out with (about 16-19) say I look 18 so I don't know if I should do so...

Should I go for the overall set instead of going for each individual piece of clothing? What I mean is that I usually buy things separately and people tell me that my style is original because I don't focus on one store (one label).

I'd like to hear your oppinion. Speak your mind.

boobaa
18-04-08, 01:25 AM
You are a metrosexual. Style? WTF? Is it your fake image you develope? But I guess its the identity chrisis of teenagers. I don't remember having one personally but maybe I will have when I hit 30 or something since I progress very slowly...

I just wear clothes that I like, this is my style. I never focus on brand, only colour and cut is important. The less pictures the better... I have custom blouses, t-shirts, sweaters and a hoodie. So I guess I am casual, which is absolutely fine for me.

okapa
18-04-08, 01:30 AM
No, it's a way of making people understand what I'm talking about.

Actually I don't consider that there is one style or another style, but most people do, so in order to explain myself better I use something they can understand. It's called rapport.

Yeah, I know the personnality issues, as a teenager I've had quite a few, as most people do, even though I'm not always conscious about them.

How do you get custom blouses?

PussyCatDoll
18-04-08, 01:30 AM
omg i'm having the same problem.

i dress kinda cute and my my bf's always awww, and you look cute today. but i hate it.i want him to say you look sexy. i only wear it coz uni's over in 3 weeks and theres no point buying a new wardrobe till i go back in october and by then it'll be cold.

but i wana change my look. i wana be slutty, sophisticated but not too slutty if ya know what i mean. and i duno what to do with my hair. its long and dark and just there.

to the original poster i love guys in 3/4 jeans and t-shirts with sneakers, especially since the summers coming. you're young, you're allowed to look cute.

boobaa
18-04-08, 01:39 AM
See, okapa, you are like a girl.

okapa
18-04-08, 02:01 AM
Lol : D Not really, I don't want to change my clothing so that I get more attention (!sophisticated but not too slutty!, quoting her), I want to change it because I don't love my clothes anymore... Makes any sense?

vashti
18-04-08, 02:54 AM
Hey people, I'm a male, 16 years old, high school.

I've decided I want to change my looks again, in terms of clothing. It's not that my clothes look bad or something, I always have like 5 girls complimenting me everytime I buy a new t-shirt or something (combined with 5 guys calling me metrossexual, but who cares) but I just don't feel right with my clothes.

I only buy what I love. It's like a feeling, I walk in a shop, take 2 minutes to look at everything and decide if I want anything. Most of the times, I don't like more than one piece of clothing in the same shopping.

But the problem is that I've stopped liking my current style. I don't like my clothes anymore. I dress in t-shirt or sweaters with lots of applications, S-sized, shining things, original. I add some jeans which are usually dark colored (either blue or black), sometimes with something on it to make it stand out.

I use Vans and that sort of shoes but I've fed up with them, they look like children shoes.

I wouldn't normally be posting this here, but I want some oppinions on what sort of clothings I should buy. I'm very picky, I usually imagine what I want to wear and go looking for something that looks alike, albeit I'm almost always unsuccesfull at that.

Should I go for a more mature style? Most girls I hang out with (about 16-19) say I look 18 so I don't know if I should do so...

Should I go for the overall set instead of going for each individual piece of clothing? What I mean is that I usually buy things separately and people tell me that my style is original because I don't focus on one store (one label).

I'd like to hear your oppinion. Speak your mind.

I don't know where you live, but where I live, some high school boys are wearing blazers over their T-shirts and topsider shoes with jeans.

GrkScorp
18-04-08, 03:59 AM
Lol : D Not really, I don't want to change my clothing so that I get more attention (!sophisticated but not too slutty!, quoting her), I want to change it because I don't love my clothes anymore... Makes any sense?

Be sure that the look you're aiming for is not too outlandish where you are.., in NYC.. a (casual/sophisticated) look is widely accepted.., as is a (gothing/punk-rock) look.., as is almost any other look you can think of.., but not every city is the same.. make sure the ideas you convey through your style are not strongly opposed in your immediate area..

Style is a personal choice.., unique to each person.., you can tell a lot about a person just by the way they dress.., it is a reflection of many things.., so be aware of what you're conveying..

Some ideas that you may find helpful in picking your desired look:

- Goals (casual, relaxed, sophistocated) anything more than that is excessive and show-offy.., there's no reason to pea-cock.., and there's no reason to dress "thuggish" or "punkish".., you don't need to conform to any model of "macho" or masculine power.., your look will capture your personal power on it's own.. and speak for itself..

Personal Style: (for you to get some ideas)

Shirts & Pants:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/SectionPage.jsp?JSESSIONID=LHnf52G2wL91hpk7Tftnwfm zMNzCkj5gLJzprn5CRrbpTvFrYTQ9!397858284&catID=2%2C534%2C374%2C306%2C418%2C052&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306418052&prp8=t6&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208461215172
http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10901&categoryId=12202
http://www.emporioarmani.com/home.asp?tskay=3FD17CD7&gender=U

Accessories:

saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524445808 561&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492703392&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208455833946&ev19=1:9

saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446149 303&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492709086&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208455900001&ev19=2:11

armaniexchange.com/product/mens/luxe/logo+dress+belt.do?asc=&sortby=&size=

justmetal.com/storefront/product_info.php?products_id=103

justmetal.com/storefront/product_info.php?products_id=182

justmetal.com/storefront/product_info.php?products_id=190

store.soliscompany.com/so11wibalepl1.html

store.soliscompany.com/sohaorbr.html

products.gem-fashion.com/chains_bracelets/Silver-Men-Bracelets-Chains/brown-leather-bracelet2.html

products.gem-fashion.com/chains_bracelets/Silver-Men-Bracelets-Chains/cord-bracelet.html

products.gem-fashion.com/chains_bracelets/Silver-Men-Bracelets-Chains/hinge-bracelet.html

armaniexchange.com/product/mens/accessories/signature+baseball+hat.do?asc=&sortby=&size=

armaniexchange.com/product/mens/all+sale/sale+accessories/wings+logo+trucker+hat.do?asc=&sortby=&size=

armaniexchange.com/product/mens/accessories/hats/raised+logo+baseball+hat.do?asc=&sortby=&size=

Shoes:

emporioarmani.com/item/men/spring-summer/Shoes/Flip-Flops/tskay/3FD17CD7/gender/U/cod10/44097870GI

emporioarmani.com/item/men/spring-summer/Shoes/Loafer-with-Perforated-Edge-Detail/tskay/3FD17CD7/gender/U/cod10/440978914U

store.puma.com/pumaUSStore/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=PumaUS&category%5Fname=MensLifestyleFootwear&product%5Fid=30048302&productType=Footwear&mainCategory=Men&shopBy=style&siteid=1

saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446180 407&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492703892&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208455579987&ev19=2:14

saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446186 298&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492707617&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208455596115&ev19=4:11

saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446185 278&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492709356&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208455637588&ev19=3:1

saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446156 043&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492703892&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208455637660&ev19=3:10

saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446184 286&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492706967&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=1208455715841&ev19=5:4

Best,

GrkScorp

Gigabitch
18-04-08, 05:11 AM
Okapa, buy one outfit that is a complete departure from your usual style and see how it makes you feel. Don't commit to a total style makeover until you've tried out some different things.

okapa
18-04-08, 05:58 AM
Yeah don't worry about that, it's difficult for me to like some jeans, it would be very rare for the to like a lot of clothing...

Thanks for showing me the meaning of sophisticated grk, I'm still going to take a look arond because even though that looks modern and stylish I'm not sure it fits my age, I'm going to try to mix it up a bit.

Thanks on your view points.

Kromat
18-04-08, 06:06 AM
Take a pic of yourself in those, and we can evaluate your style.

vashti
18-04-08, 06:43 AM
http://i28.tinypic.com/2ex4mcl.jpg

anachronistic
18-04-08, 07:45 AM
In terms of style, I really do not find mainstream clothing, such as Aeropostale, American Eagle, A&F, etc., that attractive. I just see it as a cheap attempt, although the clothing might be expensive.

I usually just wear a brown/black/gray shirt (long/short sleeve) with a white tanktop underneath, and some khakis/corduroys/painters pants. I don't like jeans very much, but I have them for when I don't feel like doing laundry.

I like to wear earthy, dull colors. I stick to low chroma, but sometimes, you will see me in a blue or a green shirt. For shoes, I usually wear my addidas. They are black and white, they look pretty nice, I payed $50 for them. Sometimes I wear my combat boots or work boots.

Then again, I really don't get compliments on my clothing that much. But I really don't have the money to piss away on fashion statements...

anachronistic
18-04-08, 07:50 AM
I don't know where you live, but where I live, some high school boys are wearing blazers over their T-shirts and topsider shoes with jeans.

I think those are male equivalents of women who wear those ridiculous barbarian-style boots. No offense. It's become kind of a mainstream look...

vashti
18-04-08, 07:53 AM
I think those are male equivalents of women who wear those ridiculous barbarian-style boots. No offense. It's become kind of a mainstream look...

Meh, it beats saggy jeans with comic book sweatshirts or dorky polo shirts. I'm sick of males looking either like thugs or like suburban dorks.

anachronistic
18-04-08, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I am just sick of people not being able to find their own style.

lastwish
18-04-08, 08:23 AM
It depends on the person. Post a picture!

bohemiandonut
18-04-08, 08:29 AM
Move to Berkeley where you can scavenge 4 thrift stores within a 0.5 mile radius and get all the cool stuff for cheap.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea how to shop: buy what you're "feeling." It won't matter how stylish your clothes look if you're not comfortable sporting them, ya dig? I know what you mean about vans, which are in my opinion the perfect shoes - they have become somewhat mass produced and can look pretty high school. Of course, you're in high school but I know what you're trying to do Ace. Vans recently collaborated with Marc Jacobs (pretty high fashion, all the dumb sluts like him), and churned out some sweet limited editions. Just make sure to get enough talc powder if you're going to go the whole sockless route, which is very "in" these days.

In my opinion, the backbone of style is function. First, make sure it fits, like a canvas on a frame. Than you can begin to paint.

Tedel
21-04-08, 11:10 PM
Damn, kid, keep it simple: a man should look like a man; a woman should look like a woman: not like a jerk, not like a bitch, not like an aristocrat, not like an emo, not like a thrash-metal-fan... just like a person.

People will judge you accoding to what you look like. You know it. What do you want them to think about you? :detective

Imsomeones
22-04-08, 02:11 AM
Style is a very personal choice. For some it's important, for others it's not. But I believe it is always nice for us men to be hygiene, well groomed, and clean cut. And the most important aspect of style should be comfort. Do you feel comfortable in how you dress, and express yourself? If not, you're probably trying to be someone you're not.

You asked for suggestions. This is what my basic wardrobe consists of.

Shoes: Simple and light weight
http://www.zappos.com/images/126/126799/3034-526994-d.jpg

Jeans: Some may disagree, but you get what you pay for. Sonetti and Mavi are quality
http://www.w1style.co.uk/products/ss06-548xc-blu_c.jpg
http://www.w1style.co.uk/products/aw05-10cv70e-dnm_c.jpg

T-Shirts: Again, pay a little more, and go for quality. I prefer the graphic tees, but i avoid buying tops with the brand name logo written on them - i refuse to be a walking billboard

So, get about 3 shoes. 5 pairs of Jeans. And a bunch of random t-shirts. And you've got yourself the new look. But make sure everything you buy fits well, and is comfortable. Can not stress this more.

Then, go for accessories, pullover tops, hats, blazers, sports jackets (I suppose you're too young to want to wear one), watches, braclets, man bags or whatever else. Personally, I like to keep it as simple as possible - I only accessorize with a watch and tic tac's.

boobaa
22-04-08, 03:12 AM
And in the end style still comes down to jeans and t-shirts yay. This again proves my point, style is just stupid name.

okapa
22-04-08, 04:15 AM
Yeah, I got the point, thanks everyone.

miSSleepy
22-04-08, 08:17 AM
but i wana change my look. i wana be slutty, sophisticated but not too slutty if ya know what i mean. and i duno what to do with my hair. its long and dark and just there.

No I don't know what you mean. But up until this post, I used to have some regard for you.

To the OP, you said you used to dress in things you love. Well, what do you love now? All I can suggest is, experiment. Go to a shop and play around in the changing rooms.

1averagejoe
25-04-08, 10:38 AM
Jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and polos when I want to look a little nicer. Plain and simple. As for shoes, I've always been a fan of skater shoes, they're comfortable. Right now these are my favorite shoes, comfortable, light, and easy to run in if I have to, not your traditional skate shoe:
http://www.urbanboardshop.com/image.php?type=T&id=529

Levis tend to be pretty decently priced and they're quality stuff, had a few pairs for a long time and I tend to abuse them.

Most people don't care what you wear as long as you don't look bad or are trying to stand out.

Off2College
25-04-08, 08:57 PM
Make sure you have a nice set of clothes for formal occasions. I like the popped collar, jacket-no-tie look.