PDA

View Full Version : Are you where you thought you would be?

someonelse
12-06-08, 03:10 AM
At this point in your life...age/time etc are you where you thought you would be?

I've recently realized I'm right where I would have wanted to be at this point in my life and it's a little unsettling. Unsettling because now I have set new goals for the next 10 and I don't know what I would want for the next 10.

:nerd:

Charlie Boy II
12-06-08, 03:22 AM
yeah I guess I am, although almost all the goals revolve around my career. In that sense I have my degree, three years experience as a copy writer and I'm planning on doing my MBA next year.

The other goal I had was travel and I'm doing that now. I've devoted the whole year to that. Been away six months so far. And I suppose I would've expected to have been in a few serious relationships as well as messed around a bit with women, and I've done all that too. And I'm in love with the best one at the moment.

So at the risk of sounding smug, the story so far is good.

In 10 years's time at the age of 35, I would expect to have recently started a young family and to be in a good job with prospects and to have bought a house near the beach. I would also want to still be surfing a lot, to be fit and to have kept my close circle of mates intact. At that stage I would hope my wife is of the MILF variety.

lesa
12-06-08, 03:47 AM
No, I thought I would be in the beginning phase of marriage and planning children, and have settled down in my career. I have too many goals and they seem to change and keep me from ever settling down.

DoesntMatter
12-06-08, 04:09 AM
Yes, where I thought I would be

Charlie Boy II
12-06-08, 04:10 AM
It's true DM you have a helluva lot of direction for a guy your age.

DoesntMatter
12-06-08, 04:11 AM
Coffee helps

Charlie Boy II
12-06-08, 04:21 AM
"first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women"

DoesntMatter
12-06-08, 04:27 AM
lol I love Scarface!! That quote is sooooo true for some people (like myself)

IndiReloaded
12-06-08, 04:27 AM
"first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women"

Unless you opt in early on a good investment.

I acheived all I wanted, but I'm not where I expected. Its good, tho I still have a sailboat w/my name on it. About 10 years more, I'd say.

DoesntMatter
12-06-08, 04:30 AM
Unless you opt in early on a good investment.

You gotta have money to start with though

bluesummer
12-06-08, 04:31 AM
At that stage I would hope my wife is of the MILF variety.

If you marry Kristen, I think that's a guarantee, no? ;)

Anyways, no, I'm nowhere near where I thought I'd be. Divorced at 28 and going back to school.....wayyyyyyy off the mark. Mind you, my bad decision (young marriage) is what put a lot of my life on hold, including school. Luckily now I have a wonderful partner who supports everything I do, and I'm going to make the most of it. The only thing I accomplished was travel and independence.

The next ten years for me, hopefully, include finishing my degree, getting a great job, getting married and starting a family. I'll throw in some occasional travel, with luck. My bf says we're going to go to Sweden and Russia in 2017. I don't know why he picked that year, it's kind of random, but whatever.

Charlie Boy II
12-06-08, 04:37 AM
If you marry Kristen, I think that's a guarantee, no? ;)

haha, yeah as long as she keeps things tight!

Mish
12-06-08, 09:23 AM
I had a number of goals. I acheived some, some I didn't. Though my goals are not really goals, they are just rough guides that help me along my path. I know that life doesn't always make things happen the way we planned. I thusly adjust my direction as needed as I travel on this road.

Am I happy with where I am? Very happy, things couldn't be better for me right now.

Lipp
12-06-08, 11:01 AM
I'd have to be a psychic to have known that I'd end up here, but it's bloody awesome so I can't complain.

anachronistic
12-06-08, 12:09 PM
No. Truth is, I had no idea I would have ever gotten this far. Never. Not in a million years. But if I can get this far, in that little amount of time, where will I be, at the end of my journey? It is incomprehensible to me, and I enjoy it that way.

Tone
12-06-08, 12:15 PM
Nope, not where I thought I'd be.

But I am where I think I'm suppose to be.

To0C0oL
13-06-08, 03:11 AM
I was, I had actually surpassed where I thought I would be...

Now that Ive changed careers, I have to work back up to where I was..

misombra
13-06-08, 03:36 AM
i am a lot farther than where i thought i would be.

but i don't hold milestone expectations for myself anymore. i just want to enjoy life.

GrkScorp
14-06-08, 08:30 PM
At this point in your life...age/time etc are you where you thought you would be?

Yes.., and although i'm very happy and can't imagine myself happier.., I still find myself questioning the choices that lead me to be here.., and where I will find myself not too long from now.., you know what they say..

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn250/SummaFelix/rem_09.jpg

clearskies
14-06-08, 10:38 PM
Simply I expected myself to continue living with my ex although it was me who initiated divorce. I was thinking of that couple of hours ago before i read this thread. I have to move on and start thinking of my new life in another continent. Hopefully, that will be what i want to do and where i want to be. weather is nice, people might be more organised but not tough as i heard.
Internal satisfaction is important and I am looking forward to achieve it soon.

vashti
14-06-08, 11:45 PM
I never really set goals when I was young except to move out of parent's house, which was generally a hell hole. As such, I think I did pretty well.

Whoever said they were worried about setting new goals because they have achieved all they had planned - I think the renewed goal setting is what keeps you young.

DoesntMatter
14-06-08, 11:47 PM
Definitely. There is always something new to do

clearskies
15-06-08, 06:45 AM
I agree that setting goals is quite crucial else we will be wasting time and life continues around us.

Tedel
16-06-08, 10:35 PM
I'm not where I wanted to be. I'm on my way, anyway.

clearskies
17-06-08, 05:46 AM
What is your next step Tedel? is it outside South America?

IndiReloaded
17-06-08, 05:49 AM
Yes.., and although i'm very happy and can't imagine myself happier.., I still find myself questioning the choices that lead me to be here.., and where I will find myself not too long from now.., you know what they say..

Actually GS, you don't have to become a traditional lawyer just b/c you go to law school. A friend of mine graduated with a law degree & she's a very respectable corporate director for a large not-for-profit organization you'd probably recognize the name of.

FWIW.