clearskies
14-06-08, 11:24 PM
:DWhich countries have you been to?

misombra
14-06-08, 11:30 PM
i've been to two. the u.s. and mexico.

vashti
14-06-08, 11:36 PM
In addition to many U.S. states (which are as big as the European countries), I've been to Mexico and Israel. I may have technically been in Jordan when swimming in the Red Sea, too. :D

DoesntMatter
14-06-08, 11:43 PM
US, Canada (at LEAST 20 times), Mexico, a few Caribbean islands, Italy, Switzerland

The thing about the US is like vashti pointed out, we're pretty big and have an enormous range of climates, types of cities, just about everything. That's why my parents are always like "Why go to these other countries? We have all this other stuff left to see in our own country"

vashti
14-06-08, 11:49 PM
The thing about the US is like vashti pointed out, we're pretty big and have an enormous range of climates, types of cities, just about everything.

Cultures, too... There is so little shared culture between let's say a person raised in NYC and someone raised in small town Utah, you may as well have travelled to another country.

Language can also be different. Compare New England, the Creole languages, and the predominantly Spanish speaking areas of the Southwest.

DoesntMatter
14-06-08, 11:52 PM
For sure, for sure. It's like my family on my dads side are a bunch of crazy-ass Italians living in Buffalo, and on my moms side they are a bunch of cool, calm and relaxed southern folks from southern Indiana and Kentucky. When they get together for family parties though we all have a blast, funny how that works

bluesummer
15-06-08, 01:58 AM
Canada and the US are both beautiful (I've been all over both). Yes, there are cultural differences from one area to the next, but the real interesting history and culture doesn't exist here. Our nations are too young (and boring, historically imo). My bf's Mom was just showing me pics of her trip to France, visiting old Roman fortresses, coliseums, and aqueducts. Now that's something worth seeing. Also, our architecture, while impressive in some cases, would be nothing next to the Notre Dame Cathedral, or the Taj Mahal. I'm all about seeing the world, as much of it as possible!

So far, besides the US (over a hundred times) and my own country (Canada), I've been in Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Mexico.

That's just the start, I have many future trips planned.

Illusional
15-06-08, 02:07 AM
i only been to japan, and once i had to stop over in korea.

raverboy

DoesntMatter
15-06-08, 02:15 AM
Yes, there are cultural differences from one area to the next, but the real interesting history and culture doesn't exist here.

Naw I disagree. I've seen the Roman ruins, Aztec pyramids, Mayan pyramids, and Greek amphitheaters, but just because their histories run back further doesn't make it anymore special. More interesting to some though, because they're so old

But as for culture, I think the US has one built on awesomeness and ownage. It doesn't need to stretch back that far just to say "Yeah, we've got more culture." In another thread I said we didn't have a culture in the same way other countries do, things like food we eat, holidays we celebrate, etc. We do have a kind of national culture though

Babydoll
15-06-08, 02:24 AM
I've been to.. England, Scotland, France, Germany, Denmark, Italy, all over the states and to Venezuela. Not bad for a 17 year old.
I'm going to New Zealand in a few weeks and next year I'm trying to decide whether to go to Vietnam, Argentina or away snowboarding again.. Vietnam's looking good though. Ah, I love the world.

Kromat
15-06-08, 02:51 AM
VISITED :
Poland, Italy, Canada ( Quebec & Ontario ), USA ( Maine )

In the future :
Egypt, Greece, Australia, Germany, Ukraine, Russia, England, Cuba, Jamaica

P.S. Not in that order, but hopefully sometime soon.

Junket
15-06-08, 02:56 AM
I've been to:

Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Virginia
Washington D.C.
Florida (as well as the Keys)
California
Texas
Nevada
Maryland
South Carolina
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Oklahoma

All not including states I drove through to get to the above.

Tone
15-06-08, 03:17 AM
Peru, US, Mexico

Illusional
15-06-08, 03:51 AM
I've been to:

Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Connecticut
Virginia
Washington D.C.
Florida (as well as the Keys)
California
Texas
Nevada
Maryland
South Carolina
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Oklahoma

All not including states I drove through to get to the above.

some people don't read yeah?? too much jacking off in the previous months has made you blind... this thread is about "countries" that you've been too. all these states are still in same country.

raverboy

vashti
15-06-08, 05:33 AM
Naw I disagree. I've seen the Roman ruins, Aztec pyramids, Mayan pyramids, and Greek amphitheaters, but just because their histories run back further doesn't make it anymore special. More interesting to some though, because they're so old

I agree with you, and I've seen Roman ruins, too. I think your side of the U.S. has fascinating historical sites, and our side has fantasic Indian ruins (Mesa Verde comes immediately to mind). And with all due respect to other places that are beautiful, there isn't anything in the world that can match the U.S. for geological history, IMO.

IndiReloaded
15-06-08, 05:42 AM
I've been all over the US & Canada. Also been to Mexico, Urp & South America. Australia coming this fall. That leaves Asia (coming year after next or mbe a side trip from OZ this year), Africa & Antarctica. And the moon.

I've heard good things about Belize. Thinking of booking our next vacation there.

IndiReloaded
15-06-08, 05:44 AM
And with all due respect to other places that are beautiful, there isn't anything in the world that can match the U.S. for geological history, IMO.

Not sure what you mean by this, Vash?

vashti
15-06-08, 06:13 AM
Me neither. :D

I was thinking of the natural environment (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Red Rocks of Utah, etc.) Unbeatable by any man made buildings in any country, IMO.

Mother Nature > man made

clearskies
15-06-08, 06:21 AM
been to UK (England, Scotland & Northern Ireland) , Ireland, Italy, France, Germany, Poland, Egypt.

IndiReloaded
15-06-08, 06:36 AM
Me neither. :D

I was thinking of the natural environment (Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Red Rocks of Utah, etc.) Unbeatable by any man made buildings in any country, IMO.

For variety within one country, I'd agree. Tho I have a feeling China probably would compete (haven't been tho). For this kind of comparison, size matters. If they'd stop flooding their country to build dams, anyway.

You should buy the Planet Earth DVD series, Vash. It is really excellent. My son loves it, very educational, & I got more ideas about natural places to visit than any travel book or video I've ever watched. The videography is beyond compare (esp their 'making of' shorts at the end of each episode--fascinating).

clearskies
15-06-08, 06:48 AM
Northern Ireland is God's heaven on earth... specially the nature towards the north. anyone been to Giant's Causeway...thats unbelievable..

DoesntMatter
15-06-08, 07:13 AM
I've heard good things about Belize. Thinking of booking our next vacation there.

If you don't like hot and humid weather you won't like Belize all that much. I've been to Central America in Mexico less than an hour from the Guatemalan border and it's fuccking HOT and STICKY. If you thought Florida was bad you're in for some sticky heat. Belize should be significantly cooler though, being so much closer to the coast

Not sure what you mean by this, Vash?

Owing to our size we have a greater diversity of unusual and opposite climates and geographical features in comparison with probably every other country

Lipp
15-06-08, 07:50 AM
Eesh, got to count them out.

Visited :
Norway
Finland
Denmark
Germany
France
Spain
United Kingdom
Estonia
India
Zimbabwe
South Africa
Botswana
Angola
Tanzania
Kenya

Lived in :

Sweden
Zambia
Uganda
Sri Lanka
Australia

So I've visited/lived in as many countries as how old I am in years. Though that will end when I visit China in two weeks.

DoesntMatter
15-06-08, 07:57 AM
Lipp, are you in the Navy?

Tone
15-06-08, 08:51 AM
Eesh, got to count them out.

Visited :
Norway
Finland
Denmark
Germany
France
Spain
United Kingdom
Estonia
India
Zimbabwe
South Africa
Botswana
Angola
Tanzania
Kenya

Lived in :

Sweden
Zambia
Uganda
Sri Lanka
Australia

So I've visited/lived in as many countries as how old I am in years. Though that will end when I visit China in two weeks.

You win.

Lipp
15-06-08, 09:05 AM
Ah, no, I'm not in the Navy, kinda hard when not being from the U.S. We do have mandatory application for the military conscription back in Sweden, but they didnt allow me to do it because of politicians calling for budget cutbacks.

Oh, and I forgot to add the Phillipines.

Junket
15-06-08, 10:55 AM
I was just being a smartass.

Though, states vary a lot.

Illusional
15-06-08, 11:06 AM
I was just being a smartass.

Though, states vary a lot.

yes states vary widely. you can even tell the differences in certain cultures if you look at differences in cities within a state.

raverboy

DoesntMatter
15-06-08, 11:33 PM
Ah, no, I'm not in the Navy, kinda hard when not being from the U.S.

I didn't mean US Navy, just any Navy

How do you have the time to go so many places? Don't you have a job or have to go to school? Or is your travel work-related?

IndiReloaded
16-06-08, 02:04 PM
That's a lot of travel for a 20 year old, Lipp. I'm guessing your parents are ex-pats of some sort. Or they work for an airline.

anachronistic
16-06-08, 02:15 PM
I'll be in Europe during 2009 :)

I wish I could do all kinds of traveling... preferably hiking.

Lipp
16-06-08, 03:36 PM
My father's a diplomat and works at the embassies in various third world countries, so that's the reason for the various places to live in, and then just visiting countries nearby it. And now when I'm independent ( in life as well as well as financially, woohoo ) I didnt want to go back , which is why Im in Australia for the next few years. If I get bored of it I can probably do my masters degree somewhere else though.

vashti
16-06-08, 03:38 PM
What an enriching experience it must have been for you, although I suppose as a child it can be a little bit lonely to move so often...

IndiReloaded
16-06-08, 03:45 PM
My father's a diplomat and works at the embassies in various third world countries

I knew it had to be something like this. I guessed b/c a relative did something similar (now retired). Is the reason we got to spend time in Colombia years ago.

Man, I feel for you, that can be a hard life for kids. Interesting, tho too. Mixed blessing.

Lipp
16-06-08, 03:57 PM
Yeah, has its downsides as most people I know are just the ones I've met in the last few months, and might see a few old friends once a year or so.
But meh, it's a small price to pay compared to being stuck back in some suburb back in Sweden all of my life. I'd pick this life any day of the week.

Taranee
16-06-08, 07:15 PM
Netherlands
Germany
Belgium
France (passing through)
Spain

Next month Israel will be added to the list.

DoesntMatter
16-06-08, 10:13 PM
I guess the next logical question to ask would be which country has the most beautiful women

clearskies
17-06-08, 04:59 AM
I'd suggest Spain or France.

vashti
17-06-08, 05:02 AM
I guess the next logical question to ask would be which country has the most beautiful women

Every country has its share of beauties, but I think melting-pot societies have the largest number of beautiful women. Mixing up the gene pool is good for aesthetics.

Junket
17-06-08, 05:06 AM
Every country has its share of beauties, but I think melting-pot societies have the largest number of beautiful women. Mixing up the gene pool is good for aesthetics.

Brasilia.
_______

jinx343
17-06-08, 07:30 PM
only been to singapore.. but it was very memorable...

i just wish i could visit more distant foreign and exotic countries before i die...:(

Kromat
18-06-08, 12:38 AM
Visiting countries isn't the problem, it's having the time & money to do it.

jinx343
18-06-08, 09:13 AM

exactly kromat ;) that's why i think i will die not doing it.. :upset:

clearskies
18-06-08, 06:41 PM
If you want enjoy a new place, I imagine you really need a lot of money to stay at a clean good hotel and use means of transport which are not much exhausting to enjoy every minute of the trip. Also, a good budget to try new foods and not to be on a diet :)

clearskies
18-06-08, 06:44 PM
What else do you need for a good journey?
A Good company, maps, language, money again to visit places of interest at that new place. For me that would be science and art museums, theatres, boat trips, deserts if that would be there....

FoxyLaydee
18-06-08, 06:49 PM
Lucky you, Lipp!

clearskies
18-06-08, 08:18 PM
I wish to visit S America one day .. Bolivia , Venezula, Peru, any of these amazing countries. I would like also to pay a short visit to SE Asia , Thailand, Korea or Japan.. magical i am sure but i wont stay long because of the language & sea foods..

Illusional
19-06-08, 09:59 AM
I wish to visit S America one day .. Bolivia , Venezula, Peru, any of these amazing countries. I would like also to pay a short visit to SE Asia , Thailand, Korea or Japan.. magical i am sure but i wont stay long because of the language & sea foods..

are you kidding?? authentic japanese food doesn't compare to anything else around the world.

raverboy

clearskies
19-06-08, 11:19 PM
Illusional: I like Suchi food and love all fish types but the thing is that I am only allergic , i am not into eggs or fish or chillis. That is why i cant stand Indian chilli food or SK & Japanese sea foods.

Illusional
21-06-08, 10:33 AM
exactly kromat ;) that's why i think i will die not doing it.. :upset:

and you talk about me disappointing you... i have done more traveling that you did.. muhahaha

raverboy

jinx343
21-06-08, 11:53 AM
i only been to japan, and once i had to stop over in korea.

raverboy

yeah.. you did done a lot more traveling... to 1 place....wahahaha... stop overs dont count to me.:evil:

you disappointed me even more...

Illusional
21-06-08, 01:25 PM
yeah.. you did done a lot more traveling... to 1 place....wahahaha... stop overs dont count to me.:evil:

you disappointed me even more...

it's funny because you quoted me yourself. maybe you should look at the quote that you quoted.

anyhow, i've been across this nations to places near and far.

raverboy

jinx343
21-06-08, 02:03 PM
i'm looking.. and looking.. :detectivei can't see anything...wahahaha

Charlie Boy II
21-06-08, 07:37 PM
Japan
China
Malaysia
Indonesia
Fiji
Noumea
England
Germany
Italy
Switzerland
The Netherlands
Spain
Scotland
France

And I'm going to Croatia in a few weeks. I don't know why, but Australians seem to travel a heck of a lot. My list is fairly modest in comparison to a lot of my friends back home.

I'd actually really love to do a road trip across America. And India's another place I've always been interested in.

shh!
21-06-08, 08:56 PM
I'd actually really love to do a road trip across America. .

The Southwest, the deep south, and the Northeast are the best sections, IMO. There's a whole lot of nothing in between. I suspect you'd love the national parks.

I'll second you on India. I want to go there and to Argentina.

clearskies
22-06-08, 03:31 AM
Indians!! NO way... why dont you go then to Pakistan?!!
It is on the boarders. I will never ever go there even for a full board paid trip.

Illusional
22-06-08, 03:35 AM
i'm looking.. and looking.. :detectivei can't see anything...wahahaha

put on your damn glasses.

raverboy

shh!
22-06-08, 04:22 AM
Indians!! NO way... why dont you go then to Pakistan?!!
It is on the boarders. I will never ever go there even for a full board paid trip.

Ar eyou insane? Pakistan? Yeah, right. I'll add it to my list, right after Saudi Arabia.

clearskies
22-06-08, 04:28 AM
I will never ever go there even for a full board paid trip.
Please insane read till the last word.

shh!
22-06-08, 04:29 AM
Your English is messed up.

clearskies
22-06-08, 04:37 AM
Do you teach language? I do

shh!
22-06-08, 04:39 AM
Not English, I am sure (unless it is to people who know even less than yourself).

clearskies
22-06-08, 04:43 AM
That is a good laugh... I only cant see myself visiting India.. I had it enough from someone at wrk who was Indian.. so weird that was and his wife as well.

shh!
22-06-08, 05:32 AM
Pot, meet kettle. :)

IndiReloaded
22-06-08, 06:38 AM
Do you teach language? I do

What language(s) do you teach, CS?

I think your mess-ups on here are fine. I've noticed you're getting better. Most of the time, I think you sound like Yoda. There's no real way to learn except to try & make mistakes.

I'm going to start taking Mandarin this year with my son.

boobaa
22-06-08, 06:45 AM
France, Latvia and the Schipol airport of The Netherlands...

Lipp
22-06-08, 06:59 AM
That is a good laugh... I only cant see myself visiting India.. I had it enough from someone at wrk who was Indian.. so weird that was and his wife as well.

Glad to see that you're so accepting of other cultures. :tough:

I visited India in November last year and it was a pleasant experience, going 'round the "golden triangle" of Delhi -> Agra -> Jaipur -> Delhi.

Illusional
22-06-08, 10:36 AM
just because someone is a teacher, doesn't mean that they are good and what they teach.

raverboy

IndiReloaded
22-06-08, 02:26 PM
True. But we don't have any info either way about CS in this regard.

God, I've had a draining weekend so far. I need a drink. Poker & whiskey, Raver?

clearskies
22-06-08, 07:28 PM
Glad to see that you're so accepting of other cultures. :tough:

I visited India in November last year and it was a pleasant experience, going 'round the "golden triangle" of Delhi -> Agra -> Jaipur -> Delhi.

I had really bad experiences with Indian people... this does not imply I do not like all of them but surely India has many excellent scientists in my field and in other fields worldwide and not all Indians are like those I met in my life. This posting reminded me of that Indian old man who was married w/o children and used to insist on inviting me, my ex and kid , why? I do not know.... I always refused the invitation since there was no reason for it. Another Indian girl in London is still after my ex . That was my experience with Indians, so bitter indeed.

shh!
22-06-08, 09:10 PM
I have had excellent experiences with Indian people. In fact, I have not had enough negative experiences with any one group of people that it would affect my feelings for the whole group, but I am suspicious of the French. :)

Illusional
23-06-08, 12:28 AM
True. But we don't have any info either way about CS in this regard.

God, I've had a draining weekend so far. I need a drink. Poker & whiskey, Raver?

oh shit, last week i just learned this other card drinking game. it's called, "screw your neighbor" and it gets pretty fun and interesting when you create some dumb rules.

raverboy

IndiReloaded
23-06-08, 03:11 AM
I just looked that game up it sounds like fun!

DoesntMatter
23-06-08, 03:19 AM
The Calabrian mafia plays a funner game, it's called get all those dumbass northern Europeans hooked on coke

DoesntMatter
24-06-08, 11:43 PM

Yeah, the worst part is that making money very often means you won't have TIME to travel

I'd actually really love to do a road trip across America. And India's another place I've always been interested in.

You would love it

The Southwest, the deep south, and the Northeast are the best sections, IMO. There's a whole lot of nothing in between. I suspect you'd love the national parks.

Whaaaaat! There's a lot of stuff in the middle. Like where I'm at in the Great Lakes region, although right now I'm in the Finger Lakes region which has a lot of wineries. Places like the southern midwest kind of don't get the credit they deserve too. I love Kentucky and St. Louis Missouri

shh!
25-06-08, 02:10 AM
St. Louis? I was born there... no thanks! :)

DoesntMatter
25-06-08, 02:34 AM
I guess the perspective may be a bit different when you're visiting in comparison with actually living there, but why don't you like St. Louis?

bluesummer
25-06-08, 02:46 AM
Japan
I don't know why, but Australians seem to travel a heck of a lot. My list is fairly modest in comparison to a lot of my friends back home.

And India's another place I've always been interested in.

Funny, I seem to run into travelling Aussies wherever I go. Germans too. Both you lot are huge travellers.

India is my dream destination. I was supposed to go with my ex husband, who IS Indian, but obviously that won't happen now. My mom wants to go, so I think one year her and I will venture over for about a month. I know enough snippets of Hindi and Punjabi to get us through.