PDA

View Full Version : Kids or no kids?

Junket
03-07-08, 09:26 AM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/143792?GT1=43002

After reading that, do you think you'll still have kids?

If so, how many?

Mish
03-07-08, 09:49 AM
Definetly. I'll have 3 if posible. Personally I don't think my life would ever be complete without my own family.

Raising kids is a lot of work, keeping a family togehter and providing for it is a lot of work as well. Raising kids is learning and experience. Learning and experience is what we mostly dedicate our lives to. I believe that in the end through learning and experience (and achievement) is where we find our happiness.

Junket
03-07-08, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I don't really want kids.

Maybe a son, possibly adopted.

But 2 feels like too many.

DoesntMatter
03-07-08, 10:43 AM
I want 3 or 4 kids. I can't imagine being in my 60s and 70s without kids and grandkids

shh!
03-07-08, 11:06 AM
Having children gives a life purpose, but it doesn't necessarily make you "happy". Children come with their own temperaments and mental hang-ups, and you can only really be happy if you get lucky enough to end up with kids whose temperaments compliment your own.

I am actually surprised they needed to do a study to figure this out. What a waste of money.

Kromat
03-07-08, 11:23 AM
I think that the kids are only as good as the parents that raise them.
If you show them lots of different possibilities and they notice their strengths and weaknesses at an early age,
they'llbe a lot more successful when choosing a career for themselves and how to handle the failures a lot better.
It makes a marriage a lot more interesting and rewarding, because your always occupied and when
you have free time, you can give yourself that break occasionally, which will be well deserved.

P.S. 1 or 2 is enough, and having kids lets the bond grow a lot more and you get to know, if you can handle a new challenge.
They'll help you out a little when your retired, get to visit you and thank you for all that you've taught them in life.
It's all about appreciation from your family that counts in the end.

Tedel
03-07-08, 11:07 PM
I'd like 6, but it will depend on her, too, so I think I'll end up with three or four. :(

boobaa
04-07-08, 12:44 AM
Don't make kids. If people make less kids, that would mean that the increase of population will hopefully decrease. That would mean better environment and a big possibility that there are less stupid people.

bluesummer
04-07-08, 12:54 AM
Yep, I still want kids, but no more than two.

I never expected children would make me 'more happy'....just that they would add a new challenge to my life besides just working.

One of my best friends hates kids, and her and her husband don't want them. She thinks she's got it way better than everyone else because of this. I always say to her...."It's all well and good when you're young, but what happens when you get old and your husband passes away, and there's no one to come visit you or take care of you anymore?" (Her husband is twelve years older than her). She thinks it will 'all just work out'. I think she will be a sad, lonely old lady with no one to take care of her or carry on her legacy. Besides, what has she got to look forward to for the rest of her life? Working? Boring.

I remember all the great times I had with my FAMILY as a child, camping and going on picnics, playing board games at night. I want that again, but with my own family. It's not always going to be fun, but it will serve to create some memorable times over the remaining years of my life.

Also, I need someone to pass all my riches to. Can't take it with me, you know.

Kromat
04-07-08, 01:06 AM
I think having kids later on in life, is a lot easier to manage, then when your still going to school.

Around age 24 or 25 is an ideal age, when all you have to focus on is work and providing for your family.

shh!
04-07-08, 01:55 AM
I always say to her...."It's all well and good when you're young, but what happens when you get old and your husband passes away, and there's no one to come visit you or take care of you anymore?" (Her husband is twelve years older than her). She thinks it will 'all just work out'. I think she will be a sad, lonely old lady with no one to take care of her or carry on her legacy.

You know what is even sadder? The number of elderly who have children but are still alone when they get old, and not necessarily because the children are negligent.

There is absolutely no guarantee that having children will ensure you have someone to visit you when you are old or take care of you when you need it.

someonelse
04-07-08, 03:49 AM
I don't understand why people would rather bring another child to this world when there're so many that need parents. I'm going to adopt as many as I can possibly afford. finantially/physically/emotionally.

anachronistic
04-07-08, 04:23 AM
I pretty much take care of my baby sister. How hard could my own children be?

I'd still have children... just have to find a decent woman.

someonelse
04-07-08, 04:51 AM
I pretty much take care of my baby sister. How hard could my own children be?

I'd still have children... just have to find a decent woman.

There's a huge difference between the two but you'll learn at ur own time.

anachronistic
04-07-08, 04:53 AM
What are the differences? In my case, there are probably few, if not any.

shh!
04-07-08, 05:02 AM
For one thing, when you have your own children you don't get to go away to college and live in the dorms like you do when you have a little sister.

You also do not have to provide housing, food, and clothing for her (although in some circumstances, an older sibling may contribute). You aren't responsible for her medical care and education.... there are lots of differences.

anachronistic
04-07-08, 05:15 AM
*smacks forehead* can't believe I didn't consider all those.

But I do play a parental role in food and housing. I also pay some of the bills. I think I mentioned that before on the forum. Kinda sucks, but I will make a better father.

shh!
04-07-08, 05:16 AM
Kinda sucks, but I will make a better father.

This I don't doubt.

IndiReloaded
04-07-08, 05:24 AM
You're a good guy, LW.

I can't imagine life without my son. He makes me very happy, even when he's being a dopey boy. He takes up a LOT of our energy, tho.

As to why ppl choose to have their own children: accident or genetic egoism.

DoesntMatter
04-07-08, 05:45 AM
I know I'll be much happier with kids and grandkids

Mish
04-07-08, 07:50 AM
Don't make kids. If people make less kids, that would mean that the increase of population will hopefully decrease. That would mean better environment and a big possibility that there are less stupid people.

There's a number of ways to look at it. Overall western countries don't seem to suffer from overpopulation like developing ones. Western countries actually need a population boom to support the aging baby boomers and to stimulate the economy. In many European countries the population is either static or in decline, an alarming trend, if not stopped these countries will find themselves in serious trouble in the future.

Plus, the way I see it, the real problem is not in dwindling resources, but in uneven distribution of resources and policies unfriendly to environment, hopefully with the right education of younger people (which is happening at the moment) this issue will become lesser in the future. I believe people and environment can co-exist.

lesa
04-07-08, 08:18 AM
I am happy now without kids. I don't want kids anytime soon. My only issue is that I will waste my womanhood for what it is intended to be and may have to adopt many years later if I ever get the craving to have children. It's selfish of me anyhow.

This topic was one of the many reasons my LTR ended. We were not compatible in that aspect. He wanted children and to 'carry the family name'. I did not agree or see him as a man I could risk raising children with. He seemed unrealistic and talked all about his 'future sons' and never talked about daughters. I feel he would be very disappointed if he had a daughter even though he is the one determining the sex of a child. He also seemed unrealistic about medical issues and I think he would have abandoned me if I did not 'produce' the child of his desires. I think many men can be unrealistic how important this topic really is. It’s not something to do because you want it…you have to carry the positive and negative role of parenthood for life. I did not desire it then or even now and have found a man that currently has compatible beliefs.

Gribble
04-07-08, 08:27 AM
I believe people and environment can co-exist.

This immediately jumped to mind after I read that:
YouTube - I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully

DoesntMatter
04-07-08, 08:42 AM
That was my senior quote from high school Gribble. I wanted a stupid senior quote that was a joke because everyone else picked one line snippets trying to sum up the meaning of life in a sentence

"I believe that Men and Fish can coexist peacefully" - GWB

Kiechi
04-07-08, 11:08 AM
6 is a nice number.

Lipp
04-07-08, 03:38 PM
Ideally 2, maybe 3. Few enough to provide well for them all, and they will have siblings instead of being a lone child.

squirrley
04-07-08, 07:10 PM
I can't imagine my life without my son. I got pregnant at 18, he's not 19 and Im only 37. I can't say one way or the other what I would've chosen to do with my life in regards of childrend but it happened and Im thankful it did. He's now out on his own and I basically am young enough to still do so many things. If I wanted another child I could but I don't want the added stress. Ive become VERY complacent with my life, doing what I want when I want. I have several friends with younger children and they always have to do things around the children, so NOPE no more children.

I think a child does bring a sense of completeness to a woman(can't speak for a man because some of the time those buttwipes disappear and don't care they have a child)(in my case) But I feel like a better person and a sense of being that I can't describe. As many positives as having a child has brought so goes the negatives and the worrisomes and stresses, oh geezuz.

I wouldn't change my life for anything. I truly believe even though "I" didn't plan on Kyle, God did and Kyle has been the true blessing in my life. (hubby too)

I see my brother with his sons, what a handful and they're thinking #3, they want a girl. The whole time I was there, shoot theres no way at my age I could handle them.

I also believe as a parent you can spend your life busting your ass to raise your child with the best intentions and when they turn 18, the world is THEIRS, and I've sat back in bewilderment knowing I didn't raise my child to behave like that. It happens, but one day my son(he's starting to ) will appreciate everything I've done for him, and right now as I sit here and cry, I know I've done a damn good job being a single parent and my son is turning out to be a fine young man.

I give a ton of credit to anyone who wants to have a child because it's alot harder than you can truly imagine, in the short run and long run.