PDA

View Full Version : Absence of Dreams

okapa
07-07-08, 11:37 PM
I have no dreams when I'm sleeping. Well, I probably do, but I never remember them, not even once, for a very long time.

I don't think I should be worried but I got curious, does anyone know anything about this? Didn't find much information anywhere.

Thanks.

Tedel
08-07-08, 12:14 AM
That's fairly normal, indeed. Many people out there don't remember their dreams.

Tone
08-07-08, 07:33 AM
How often do you usually sleep?

I *think* you have to be asleep for a certain number of hours before you can even enter into the "dream like state".

But don't quote me on that.

okapa
08-07-08, 08:25 AM
Maybe it is Tedel, I was just wondering. I tend to sleep 7 to 10 hours, sometimes more sometimes less but that's it most of the times.

Asparagoose
08-07-08, 08:34 AM

I *think* you have to be asleep for a certain number of hours before you can even enter into the "dream like state".

I heard that somewhere too. You have dreams and remember them when you're in light sleep. You need to sleep for at least 6 hours before you start having dreams. I wouldn't worry about it though. I don't remember my dreams either. It almost seems like the only thing I see when i'm sleeping is pure black. Oh well, it's not anything i'll lose any sleep over :D

Illusional
08-07-08, 12:40 PM
i love dreaming.. it's like watching tv when you're sleeping.

i think it was stephen king that remembered most of his dreams and turned them into classic horror movies.

raverboy

IndiReloaded
08-07-08, 01:55 PM

Sounds right to me. A lot of ppl have their most vivid dreams in the couple hours just before waking.

If you want to try something interesting, try clenching your fists hard right after waking from a dream. Bet you can't. REM sleep (when you dream) shuts down your voluntary muscles. :D

OP - if you want to remember your dreams, keep a pad & pen at your bedside table. Write down key words as soon as you awake so you can remember later.

anachronistic
08-07-08, 02:23 PM
Anyone aware that they've had dreams but can't recall certain parts or the whole dream?

Lipp
08-07-08, 02:37 PM
Got lucid dreams myself (conscious of that it's just a dream) but no normal dreams.

Tedel
08-07-08, 11:06 PM
Talking about dreams, I've even had premonitions a few times.

Two of them were so scary I just had to call the person involved and warn them.

One dream prevented Olga from dying in Cancun.
One dream told me Ines was pregnant of a girl.
I couldn't prevent a rape, though. She just didn't believe me.

boobaa
09-07-08, 12:02 AM
I usually don't dream also, but lately I have been having those kinds of dreams where naked women give blowjobs. Think they were predictions?

lesa
09-07-08, 03:00 AM
It doesn't necessarily take hours to get into REM sleep. It varies with individuals but as we age we tend to have less cycles of REM and reaching REM.

Cain
09-07-08, 03:55 AM
Everyone dreams when they sleep. Their are different levels of sleep, however, that determines the length of the dreams in that cycle and some cycles are easier to remember dreams, but most often the only dream you remember is the one that occurs right before waking up. You have multiple dreams while sleeping. It's your brains way of sorting through thoughts you've been having.

Tone
09-07-08, 04:04 AM
Sounds right to me. A lot of ppl have their most vivid dreams in the couple hours just before waking.

If you want to try something interesting, try clenching your fists hard right after waking from a dream. Bet you can't. REM sleep (when you dream) shuts down your voluntary muscles. :D

Yeah it paralyzes you so you don't act out your dreams.

People who claim to be abducted or visited by ghosts often suffer from sleep paralysis... where they are awaken in the middle of the night but their body is still paralyzed.. saw a special on it once.
:)

lesa
09-07-08, 04:21 AM
Yeah it paralyzes you so you don't act out your dreams.

People who claim to be abducted or visited by ghosts often suffer from sleep paralysis... where they are awaken in the middle of the night but their body is still paralyzed.. saw a special on it once.
:)

It's real and very scary I imagine. EDIT: The sleep paralysis of course lol.

misombra
09-07-08, 04:29 AM
it's called narcolepcy.

miSSleepy
09-07-08, 09:38 AM
I had sleep paralysis 3 times in my life, all in the same night, within a couple of hours. The first time it happened I woke in the middle of the night with the strange sensation (like you get when you're just getting over pins-and-needles) through my whole body, but couldn't move or even say anything.

I tried so hard to move and finally it leg go and i went back to sleep, not giving it much thought. The third time it happened, in my head just cursed at myself, or the thing that was paralysing me and told it to f*&%ck off :D struggled really hard to clench my fists, finally did, then sat up. It was all so very hard though. Then I turned on the lights and read a book.

A lot of people freak out, especially if they're religious etc I think. I've always been good rationalising.

Mish
09-07-08, 10:40 AM
Sleep paralysis are totaly awesome! It happens rarely, but I love the experience. It's so vivid. Can be scary when you can't move your muscles and yet you are fully conscious, just the thought that you will never be able to move again is horrifying. I feel really bad for people who have this permanent condition. But sleep paralysis are incredible. I found it mostly happens when I have either a really suspensful dream, where I'm about to engage in some action and I wake up before it happens or where a dream has run itself into a strange end. It's like you wake up before you're suppose to and the mind doesn't have time to adjust.

lastwish
09-07-08, 11:29 PM
I rarely have dreams too...the only time when I remembered I had dreams were nightmares during my most stressful times.

Sleep walking is scary... I heard a man drove 20 miles to his in laws' home and murdered them. He was acquitted.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_4792.aspx

Lipp
09-07-08, 11:41 PM
Dying while sleepwalking would be quite a crappy way to go.

boobaa
10-07-08, 02:07 AM
Today I also had a dream. I dreamed about pavement stones.

lesa
10-07-08, 05:13 AM
I rarely have dreams too...the only time when I remembered I had dreams were nightmares during my most stressful times.

Sleep walking is scary... I heard a man drove 20 miles to his in laws' home and murdered them. He was acquitted.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_4792.aspx

My ex would sleep walk often. It is very difficult to determine if one is asleep or awake. It is nothing like the movies...more like lost of short term memory (really no memory of what you are currently doing). Very scary. He has walked outside in the middle of the night often and because I stayed up late often, I once saw him walked out of the house, into his car, and away he went. He later called wondering how did he got outside...he did not drive far. Crazy!

Mish
10-07-08, 08:00 AM
I think there's an idea for a movie there somewhere

Lipp
10-07-08, 02:25 PM
I think there's an idea for a movie there somewhere

Already been made.

I recall seeing as movie years and years ago that really freaked me out, with a guy who was sleepwalking and locked his wife inside a steaming sauna for hours, pushing her daughter's boyfriend into a lake to drown (inside a car),chopping her daughter with a shovel while digging a grave and waking up covered in blood. And it was all seen through him strapping a camera to his shoulder to find out what he was doing while sleepwalking. Actually it wasn't as bad as it sounds.

In the end he woke up with the conclusion being that he had just dreamt it all.

lesa
10-07-08, 02:40 PM
I recall seeing as movie years and years ago that really freaked me out, with a guy who was sleepwalking and locked his wife inside a steaming sauna for hours

I don't know why but that was funny to me.