PDA

View Full Version : I want a dog

anachronistic
26-07-08, 02:12 PM
I really wish I could buy a dog right now. Not for my family, but for myself. I can't do that right now, because during the school year I live on campus, and no pets are allowed on campus. And I'll be in Germany for a few months anyway.

My family used to have a Scottish Terrior. We bought him as a puppy and raised him. It was originally my brother's but since he didn't take care of it, it became the family dog. I was the only one who ever took it for walks and played with it. When I first realized that I really liked the dog, I realized that I wanted a sort of companion/guard dog. I don't think Scottish Terriors are very easily trained... and it was not possible to train this dog around my family, who constantly tormented it and teased it. We did manage to get it trained to do its business outside, and I taught it to sit down, but that's all we managed to get him to do before he broke off the chain in our yard and got hit by a car.

My friend's uncle has an old retriever. It is very well behaved, very smart, and he never needs to put a leash on her. I have no idea how he trained her so well. My friend Rob just got a black lab last winter, and it behaves horribly. It shits in the car when we are going out to the river, he has to keep it tied to the vehicle otherwise it will run away! Things like that. Rob isn't good at that sort of thing anyway.

Anyway, I am thinking about getting a wolf-dog. Wolf-dogs are hybrids of wolves and canines. I think I'd want something like that, if it's tamable. If not, I'd probably get an Irish wolfhound, or a lab. I'd really like a wolf-dog though, it'd scare the shit out of everyone haha. I'd want it to follow me around everywhere, without needing a leash or anything. I think that's just a matter of treating it right, disciplining it, and all that.

Before I even think about buying a dog, I need to think about how I could fit it into my life. If I could fit it in now, I would get it now. I want to buy it as a pup and raise it... things would just seem easier that way in the long run. If I got it now, I wouldn't be there as much as I'd want to be. Maybe next summer eh? Then I will be living in an apartment with some roomies. During this school year I can ask my friends if they'd be okay with that... also look at some apartments that allow dogs. Some of them I don't know if I'd trust to leave my dog with them, they might kick it or something... haha, not if it was a big mother****er.

You know, then I wouldn't have to go fishing by myself all the time. It'd be safer to walk around here with a dog... I wouldn't need to worry about using a gun so much. I wouldn't have to be so worried about rattlesnakes or anything. And it'd give me a reason to walk around!

I am not sure if I should get a dog or a bitch...

Could anyone tell me of places where I could buy these kinds of dogs, other than newspapers and locally? I'm guessing that puppies of those breeds would probably cost anywhere from $300 to $1000... but I know nothing about prices these days. And I am expecting some answers from you Somby. I know you could give me some tips on training it.

anachronistic
26-07-08, 03:15 PM
I think I will teach him German commands, that way people who don't speak it, won't know how to command him :D

I can see it now...

Sitz! Bleib! Voraus! Fass! Lösch!

(Sit! Stay! Go! Attack! Kill!)

1averagejoe
26-07-08, 03:21 PM
I want misombras dogs...

and misombra. :D

Citycat
26-07-08, 08:14 PM
I like the fact that you're thinking thoroughly about the options, and not buying and then rejecting the animals like some people.

boobaa
26-07-08, 08:44 PM
I really wish I could buy a dog right now. Not for my family, but for myself. I can't do that right now, because during the school year I live on campus, and no pets are allowed on campus. And I'll be in Germany for a few months anyway.

My family used to have a Scottish Terrior. We bought him as a puppy and raised him. It was originally my brother's but since he didn't take care of it, it became the family dog. I was the only one who ever took it for walks and played with it. When I first realized that I really liked the dog, I realized that I wanted a sort of companion/guard dog. I don't think Scottish Terriors are very easily trained... and it was not possible to train this dog around my family, who constantly tormented it and teased it. We did manage to get it trained to do its business outside, and I taught it to sit down, but that's all we managed to get him to do before he broke off the chain in our yard and got hit by a car.

My friend's uncle has an old retriever. It is very well behaved, very smart, and he never needs to put a leash on her. I have no idea how he trained her so well. My friend Rob just got a black lab last winter, and it behaves horribly. It shits in the car when we are going out to the river, he has to keep it tied to the vehicle otherwise it will run away! Things like that. Rob isn't good at that sort of thing anyway.

Your Rob keeps his dog in the car while going out? Don't you have laws against that? From my life experience, dogs only shit in uncommon places when something doesn't like to them or they feel intimidated or insecure.
Of course the dog will run away if he has been on chain all the time, he sees it as an opportunity for freedom. Why would he want to stick around if he knows he might get put back in chain?

Some people seem to be so dumb that I actually want to jail them.

Aegis
27-07-08, 01:31 AM
Don't abuse a large dog buy getting one and then not having ample room for it to run unimpeded. People think I'm some kind of animal-hater 'cause I think dogs should live outside, but have you seen large dogs that have lived in the house all their lives? They're a pathetic, sorry sight. They get fat, "hunched" backs, they can't move to save their life...they're effectively lame, they still have the mindset of a puppy; it's disgusting what people do to them and call it love.

You really don't have the means to properly support one of those until you have a couple fenced-in acres. It's some cross between a real wolf and a domesticated dog...means basically the wolf part is a real killer and you're liable for it. You *cannot* let a wolf run around loose, and you'll ruin it if you keep it on a chain. I don't care how much you think you might "run" or "walk" it, unless it has some good open stretches to cover any time of the day, it's gonna turn into a lame duck on a chain.

You're basically a kid, and you get some crazy ideas. Don't follow up on this one, lol

anachronistic
27-07-08, 03:42 AM
Your Rob keeps his dog in the car while going out? Don't you have laws against that? From my life experience, dogs only shit in uncommon places when something doesn't like to them or they feel intimidated or insecure.
Of course the dog will run away if he has been on chain all the time, he sees it as an opportunity for freedom. Why would he want to stick around if he knows he might get put back in chain?

Some people seem to be so dumb that I actually want to jail them.

No, he chains him to the car.... that means he is outside, but he only has a certain radius which he can go around.

Like I said, Rob makes a poor owner, and that's why his dog isn't so great.

Don't abuse a large dog buy getting one and then not having ample room for it to run unimpeded. People think I'm some kind of animal-hater 'cause I think dogs should live outside, but have you seen large dogs that have lived in the house all their lives? They're a pathetic, sorry sight. They get fat, "hunched" backs, they can't move to save their life...they're effectively lame, they still have the mindset of a puppy; it's disgusting what people do to them and call it love.

You really don't have the means to properly support one of those until you have a couple fenced-in acres. It's some cross between a real wolf and a domesticated dog...means basically the wolf part is a real killer and you're liable for it. You *cannot* let a wolf run around loose, and you'll ruin it if you keep it on a chain. I don't care how much you think you might "run" or "walk" it, unless it has some good open stretches to cover any time of the day, it's gonna turn into a lame duck on a chain.

You're basically a kid, and you get some crazy ideas. Don't follow up on this one, lol

Aegis, I actually spend a lot of time outdoors. I live in the country for **** sake. Do you think I'm some kind of couch potato? *shrug*

And in my opinion, a few fenced in acres is not enough for any dog. Maybe a really small one, but not anything medium/large. That's like putting a fish in a fishbowl.

And about a wolf hybrid.... I am not talking 50/50 here. My aunt had a wolf hybrid that was about 20$ wolf, it had the amber eyes, the structure and everything, except the furry coat. It was a good dog, and they never had it chained up.

shh!
27-07-08, 03:46 AM
You are a student. This means you don't have the time to devote to a pet, which in all honesty require just as much attention as a child during their first year. Wait until you are more settled, in my opinion, and I agree with aegis that large dogs are a bad idea in an apartment.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 04:09 AM
Ye, I was having doubts about the whole apartment thing. I know that I will eventually get a dog, though, when I know I am ready to support one. I do agree that a dog is like a children. But I think a dog is more like a sibling. You have to be the big brother, they have to follow you around, and whatnot. I guess that's the way I look at it since that's the kind of role I play with my siblings.

So what kinds of dogs do you think I should be looking at? Is it easier to train a dog or a bitch? I don't necessarily want a dog with wolf instincts... but I want a dog that resembles the appearance of a wolf. Probably a husky, or a rottweiler then? I want a pretty big dog that can be highly trained.

Kiechi
27-07-08, 04:11 AM
http://www.kennels.co.uk/images/W.SiberianHusky.jpg

Gorgeous.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 04:20 AM
That looks perfect!

Kiechi
27-07-08, 04:22 AM
SexC eh? Siberian Huskys. :)

anachronistic
27-07-08, 04:28 AM
Come to think of it back when I lived in Ohio, my neighbors had a Siberian Husky. They called it Bear. It was a damn sexy dog. It got pretty chunky though, because it was a house dog to them. It didn't have a beautiful fur coat like the one in that picture... it had a yellowish whitish coat.

misombra
27-07-08, 05:02 AM
aside from needing 99 percent of your attention for at least a few months they will be a big expense. there's food, there's toys and supplies, and the biggest bill of all is the vet bill. and if you love animals even in the slightest you will have enough money to cover a vet bill in the event of an emergency on christmas. it's a lot.

there's maintenance vet bills as well. heartworm pills, which you can't get without a heartworm test... i mean there's all kinds of examples i could give you.

you definitely do not want to big a large breed dog. no no no i absolutely forbid it. they require 150% of your time and attention. they have to be trained intensively while they are small because they will quickly outgrow you. and if they jump on somebody they will knock them down and hurt them. and dogs like to jump up on people. also, large breed, large expenses. every medication has to be doubled. food as well.

AND THEN i'll tell you about all the things dogs do as puppies...

1. they chew up everything. no matter how much you tell them no, when you're not around, destruction ensues.

2. they are not pottie trained until you train them. meaning they will shit and piss in your house and probably all over something important.

3. they whine and cry in the middle of the night and you don't sleep. they're just loud in general.

4. when you move, about 90 percent of your options on where to go are closed because you have a dog. that's just how it is if you're renting.

couldn't you just get a fish or something?

anachronistic
27-07-08, 05:29 AM
What the hell would I want a fish for?

I guess I don't understand how exactly you manage to take care of your dogs misombra. You must have a lot of experience. You have to start somewhere though. I think a siberian husky would be small enough to handle.

I know how to potty train a dog, and we never had destruction issues with the scottish terrior. I'm willing to put up with that kind of behavior though. I think I could handle it.

The only issue I'd have at this point, I think, is having time. Right now, during the summer, I have time to take care of it. But when I head off to school, I'll only have half of that. That's why I am holding off. I'm not going to get a puppy until I know I will have time for one, like I have been saying throughout the thread.

misombra
27-07-08, 05:57 AM
that's cool.

i was gonna tell you, but i forgot... it takes years to get a dog to walk with you without a leash. sabrina can almost do it but she still gets distracted. and she's a very well behaved dog 3 years old.

it takes i'd say 5-7 years to get them to do that with A LOT of training.

don't forget about the money. you have to save up a lot in case of emergencies. if one of our dogs get hit by a car for instance (god forbid), they will need a lot of surgery and if i weren't able to afford it we'd have to put them down.

ay dios mio it pains me to even think about it.

my dogs are well behaved because mikey trained them. he is excellent with dogs. better than the dog whisperer. he got our 150 pound mastiff to get along with our little baron. if kubla were in better shape he would've killed baron in a second and had him for breakfast.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 06:44 AM
Before buying a dog I should definitely read a lot on dog training. That way I can train him better.

I remember when we let our scotty play with my aunt's wolf dog. It surprised me that the scotty almost tore the wolf dog up. Scottish terriors are little devils!

I would want the dog to attack on command too. I bet that takes even more training that getting him to follow without a leash. I'd have to train him to listen to only me for that command. Then if someone decides to get hostile with the dog or me, I could just point and tell him to kill, haha.

Citycat
27-07-08, 06:52 AM
How about getting a girlfriend instead?

Lipp
27-07-08, 06:56 AM
Also got a thing for having a wolf-like dog, definitely a breed of a husky. If I end up having to live on my own in the future (hope it won't happen, but meh.) I would consider getting one, if I wouldn't end up pouring spare time into work instead just for the hell of it.

Kiechi
27-07-08, 07:01 AM
that's cool.

i was gonna tell you, but i forgot... it takes years to get a dog to walk with you without a leash. sabrina can almost do it but she still gets distracted. and she's a very well behaved dog 3 years old.

it takes i'd say 5-7 years to get them to do that with A LOT of training.

don't forget about the money. you have to save up a lot in case of emergencies. if one of our dogs get hit by a car for instance (god forbid), they will need a lot of surgery and if i weren't able to afford it we'd have to put them down.

ay dios mio it pains me to even think about it.

my dogs are well behaved because mikey trained them. he is excellent with dogs. better than the dog whisperer. he got our 150 mastiff to get along with our little baron. if kubla were in better shape he would've killed baron in a second and had him for breakfast.

That's cute.

misombra
27-07-08, 07:03 AM
Before buying a dog I should definitely read a lot on dog training. That way I can train him better.

I remember when we let our scotty play with my aunt's wolf dog. It surprised me that the scotty almost tore the wolf dog up. Scottish terriors are little devils!

I would want the dog to attack on command too. I bet that takes even more training that getting him to follow without a leash. I'd have to train him to listen to only me for that command. Then if someone decides to get hostile with the dog or me, I could just point and tell him to kill, haha.

the thing about training a dog to attack is that your dog would get injured too, whether he wins the fight or loses.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 07:22 AM
How about getting a girlfriend instead?

Or both? :D See, the things with dogs, is you can buy them when their young and train them. You can't do that with women :lol: I'm sure I will eventually find a nice woman, but that's not going to eliminate my desire to have a dog. Say... what do you say; you and I ... ? :love:

the thing about training a dog to attack is that your dog would get injured too, whether he wins the fight or loses.

I don't think it's the training that would injure the dog, but the actual situation.. not saying that training is 100% safe, but yeah. The purpose of training the dog to attack would be to protect us both. Chances are if you are attacked, you're both going to get hurt, but if you know how to attack back, you can reduce the chances of that happening.

And if your dog looks intimidating, chances are people won't even bother.

starbuck
27-07-08, 08:11 AM
I want one, too. This kind...

YouTube - french bulldog babies

anachronistic
27-07-08, 08:50 AM
French bulldogs are cute, but I want a big dog that seems more like a companion than a youngin'.

Tone
27-07-08, 09:01 AM
Come on, lilwing.

Getting a dog now would be extremely selfish. All the reasons you listed are for your own benefit, you want ppl to be intimidated by your wolf-dog, you want to have a companion at the river, etc etc.

But you're a student and you said it yourself.. they don't allow pets on campus and you don't want a dog cramped up in some apartment w/ other ppl sitting bored while you're at school all day.

Think about the animal.

Take it from me man... no one wants a dog worse than I do. Whenever I'm at someone's house and they have a dog I give the dog more attention than I do them.

But I know that this is not the right time. So I just have to be sad and lonely until I'm in a more stable situation... done w/ school and can provide a good home.

If you do go through with it though, rescue a dog that needs it. Adopt one, don't support a pet shop or anything like that.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

PS>> Kiechi I LOVE Huskies too!! Eventually I would love to have AT LEAST a Huskie and a German Shepherd... those 2 dogs have had a place in my heart since I was a little boy.

Tone
27-07-08, 09:06 AM
my dogs are well behaved because mikey trained them. he is excellent with dogs. better than the dog whisperer.

Blasphemy!

The Dog Whisperer is fantastic. Look him up, Cesar Millan.

He truly understands dog pyschology. They are not humans so they do not function the same way we do.

In a dog's world it's all about dominance and the pack. You have to establish yourself as the pack leader.

I love Cesar Millan, if you watch his show he says that 99% of the time when he deals w/ misbehaved dogs it's the owner's fault and not the dog.

Aegis
27-07-08, 09:26 AM
Yeah, don't get a dog right now. Not until you finish school and have stabilized your place of residence.

1averagejoe
27-07-08, 09:38 AM
I wanted a dog when I broke up with my ex...I thought it would be a great way to make myself feel better and take the attention/love from her and transfer it to something of more value. It probably would have.

But then I realized, I have zero time to take care of one, and they're expensive.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 09:55 AM
Come on, lilwing.

Getting a dog now would be extremely selfish. All the reasons you listed are for your own benefit, you want ppl to be intimidated by your wolf-dog, you want to have a companion at the river, etc etc.

But you're a student and you said it yourself.. they don't allow pets on campus and you don't want a dog cramped up in some apartment w/ other ppl sitting bored while you're at school all day.

Think about the animal.

Take it from me man... no one wants a dog worse than I do. Whenever I'm at someone's house and they have a dog I give the dog more attention than I do them.

But I know that this is not the right time. So I just have to be sad and lonely until I'm in a more stable situation... done w/ school and can provide a good home.

If you do go through with it though, rescue a dog that needs it. Adopt one, don't support a pet shop or anything like that.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

PS>> Kiechi I LOVE Huskies too!! Eventually I would love to have AT LEAST a Huskie and a German Shepherd... those 2 dogs have had a place in my heart since I was a little boy.

I feel ya tone, the exact same. I believe that human-animal relationships are just as important and mutual as human-human relationships. I put myself in the dog's position... that's why I haven't just gone off and gotten a dog.

About rescued animals... is it more difficult to train a fully grown dog? I think it would be...

Aegis
27-07-08, 09:58 AM
My parents "rescued" a well-trained weimaraner; they're not necessarily not trained, just absent an owner for myriad reasons.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 10:37 AM
Well I know it's selfish of me, similar to the way a parent would rather have their own kids, but I would like to raise my own dog. Things work out better that way for the both of us.

I think I may eventually adobt an animal or two, but I am not sure if that is how I'd want my first experience with raising an animal to be.

misombra
27-07-08, 10:59 AM
if you're going to raise a wolf breed, you have to become a wolf.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 12:32 PM
I am a lone wolf. :)

misombra
27-07-08, 12:40 PM
there's this video i play for baron to get him to howl. it's so funny.

i'll have to record it sometime.

here's the vid i play for him...

YouTube - Siberian Husky Talking named Toya

anachronistic
27-07-08, 12:43 PM
Haha! That is so adorable. I feel like dropping out of school just so I can get a dog. :(

misombra
27-07-08, 12:47 PM
no don't do that.

you'll have plenty of time when you're done with school to enjoy stuff like that. but you have lots of time to think of a dog you really want.

do some research on the background of breeds. i found some cool stuff when i was looking up irish wolfhounds and st. bernards. magical, wonderful dogs they both are. great history there. also with mastiffs. but you know, i'm partial to those.

huskeys and malamutes are other breeds that i love. but i couldn't keep one here cause it's too hot.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 12:51 PM
New Mexico is it? I bet it's hot there.

I think a Siberian Husky would be able to tolerate the weather here. We have about a 3-4 month long summer, and the rest of the year is a subzero winter. 2 season country.

I love the way Irish Wolfhounds look. An ex of mine had a really old crossbreed, half Irish wolfhound and half retriever I think.

misombra
27-07-08, 12:59 PM
that's cool. my friend maude has a wolfhound/ great pyranese.

he is so big and sweet. much bigger than my dogs and with all pyranese fur. he reminds me of barkley from sesame street.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 01:14 PM
Sesame street? lol that reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU_ne-Pf6vE

Did you teach your dogs using Spanish commands? In German, lots of words sound very similar, and I would be worried about the dog not being able to distinguish between some commands...

misombra
27-07-08, 01:20 PM
no, but they certainly know lovie spanish words like ooooooooooooh mijitoooooooo. you develop your own system of communication with a dog or anyone/thing you spend a lot of time with.

cool thing about sabrina is that she knows you having to tell her anything. sometimes i just give her a look and she knows what i'm thinking.

anachronistic
27-07-08, 01:35 PM
no, but they certainly know lovie spanish words like ooooooooooooh mijitoooooooo. you develop your own system of communication with a dog or anyone/thing you spend a lot of time with.

cool thing about sabrina is that she knows you having to tell her anything. sometimes i just give her a look and she knows what i'm thinking.

I read an article last night about how dogs can read your emotions. Very interesting.

Tone
27-07-08, 02:51 PM
It's not so much the word but the infliction of your voice.

Citycat
28-07-08, 01:05 AM
Or both? :D See, the things with dogs, is you can buy them when their young and train them. You can't do that with women :lol: I'm sure I will eventually find a nice woman, but that's not going to eliminate my desire to have a dog. Say... what do you say; you and I ... ? :love:

Have I just read what I think I've read?

misombra
28-07-08, 01:09 AM
the hardest part of training for me was being forceful with them. sometimes, you have to kick their ass. that's the way dog language goes. sabby and baron did not like to be in trouble so we didn't have to be so physical with them.

kubla though, we had to kick his ass otherwise he would've run the house.

anachronistic
28-07-08, 03:03 AM
Have I just read what I think I've read?

Ja :)

clearskies
28-07-08, 03:22 AM
Domestic pets generally scare me to death.. only birds I do love and wd like to take care of.

anachronistic
28-07-08, 03:36 AM
At one time in my life we had a cat and 3 finches. Guess what happened to the finches? The cat snatched them out of the air and killed each and every one of them.

We used to let the finches fly around in the house.

My mother says that lab retrievers are laid back. I've been around a lot of retrievers, and they seem really hyper to me. She also says that huskies are hyper. I've found that to be false! Sombra, what do you say?

misombra
28-07-08, 04:14 AM
i don't really like golden retrievers. i'm not really into labs either. huskeys are pretty hyper as puppies, but if they're trained well they are great dogs.

what are the attributes you would want in a dog?

anachronistic
28-07-08, 05:08 AM
Yeah I don't really like retrievers or labs either. But I like labs more than retrievers.

Let me get back to the attributes, I'll have to think about that for a bit.

I just want a companion; a dog that will follow me around, be hyper when I am hyper, but calm when I am calm; a dog that will attack anything dangerous to protect us both; a medium/large sized dog; a dog that will sleep at the foot of the bed, but sometimes cuddle with me; a dog that looks intimidating but is still somehow a chick magnet; a guard dog.

I think that's about everything, but I will think about it a little more.

Aegis
28-07-08, 05:15 AM
lol, when do you ever feel like you're in danger that you need a guard dog? Don't you mostly live in a cornfield or something?

IndiReloaded
28-07-08, 07:51 AM
Well, at least everyone here seems to like large dogs. I can't stand those little 'kick-me' dogs. Yappy things w/brains to small to train & too fragile to whap w/a newspaper if they do something retarded.

Most hyper breed I've seen was a border collie. Damn, that dog was intelligent tho.

LW, pets are expensive in general. We have a cat, just a freebie from the pound & my son loves her to pieces. But she got hit by a car several years ago & b/c my son was so damn attached to her we spent over $1500 in *dental bills* for the beast. No joke. Ask anyone from a farm where that cat would have gone... anyway I could have gotten an Egyptian Mau for the cost. :P

DoesntMatter
28-07-08, 07:59 AM
My favorite types of dogs are labrador retrievers, followed by a tie between beagles and Siberian huskies, and then German shephards

Yeah, I've seen labradors that are hyper, but I don't think that's a defining characteristic for that breed. My lab is about as mellow as can be, he is unbelievably mellow, and I know an equal number of mellow labs like him as hyper ones

But you wanted one that could also be intimidating... So that would be a no for labs lol. I don't know what girls think of German shephards, but they can be really good companions but also intimidating. My cousins have one, and he barks aggressively at new people unless they are around to get him to chill. But he also has a really soft side and is kind of a baby underneath, so makes a good 'companion'

shh!
28-07-08, 08:16 AM
A stupid German Shepard tried to get my pug this past week. Its owner is an old man that can't control it, and the stupid dog ended up gouging out my husband's stomach and knocked down another old man my husband was talking to.

Incidentally, it was also a shepard that used to terrorize the kids in the neighborhood when I was a kid.

I hate aggressive dogs. They need kicking in the teeth in a really big way.

anachronistic
28-07-08, 08:18 AM
lol, when do you ever feel like you're in danger that you need a guard dog? Don't you mostly live in a cornfield or something?

I don't know if you're kidding or you're just a ****ing idiot.

I'll explain anyway.

Where I live, we have lots of these:

http://www.sandomenico.org/uploaded/photos/Library/mountain_lion.jpg

And also lots of these:

http://www.snakeeducation.com/snakes/photos/Western%20Diamond%20Back%20Rattler%20May%2006.JPG

We have lots of these too, but they aren't as dangerous, and you can step on them:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/19582.jpg

http://www.calpoison.org/public/brown-recluse.jpg

We have all kinds of deadly creatures around here... stampeding antelope, deer, I've even heard of a few accounts of bears, but those live in the badlands... we're a little while from there.

We also have wild buffalo, horses, and shit like that, but those aren't usually dangerous. Then again, a dog is not going to stop a buffalo.

I'm not horribly worried about getting attacked or anything. That is a quality I'd like my dog to have. Would you teach your children how to fight, Aegis, or would you just allow for a greater possibility of them getting their ass kicked, or possibly killed?

Well, at least everyone here seems to like large dogs. I can't stand those little 'kick-me' dogs. Yappy things w/brains to small to train & too fragile to whap w/a newspaper if they do something retarded.

Most hyper breed I've seen was a border collie. Damn, that dog was intelligent tho.

LW, pets are expensive in general. We have a cat, just a freebie from the pound & my son loves her to pieces. But she got hit by a car several years ago & b/c my son was so damn attached to her we spent over $1500 in *dental bills* for the beast. No joke. Ask anyone from a farm where that cat would have gone... anyway I could have gotten an Egyptian Mau for the cost. :P

Dental bills for a cat? What the hell? Did he have a cavity or something? *snicker* I had to remove rapala shad lure, with 2 treble hooks on it from a dogs mouth. Neighbor's dog.

I dunno what I'd do in an emergency situation. I am sure I would do whatever was best for the animal though.

How much do canine vaccinations cost, and how much do you spend a month on dog food?

DoesntMatter
28-07-08, 08:19 AM
Buy an RPG instead :)

anachronistic
28-07-08, 08:21 AM
Why would I want to spend any more of my time staring at a computer monitor? :P

I already spend at least 8 hours a day, work alone.

shh!
28-07-08, 08:23 AM
Personally, I would skip the dog and move out of the boon-docks (sp?).

misombra
28-07-08, 08:23 AM
it's funny everybody thinks they know how to train dogs, yet most dogs are out of control.

misombra
28-07-08, 08:24 AM
I don't know if you're kidding or you're just a ****ing idiot.

I'll explain anyway.

Where I live, we have lots of these:

http://www.sandomenico.org/uploaded/photos/Library/mountain_lion.jpg

And also lots of these:

http://www.snakeeducation.com/snakes/photos/Western%20Diamond%20Back%20Rattler%20May%2006.JPG

We have lots of these too, but they aren't as dangerous, and you can step on them:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/19582.jpg

http://www.calpoison.org/public/brown-recluse.jpg

We have all kinds of deadly creatures around here... stampeding antelope, deer, I've even heard of a few accounts of bears, but those live in the badlands... we're a little while from there.

We also have wild buffalo, horses, and shit like that, but those aren't usually dangerous. Then again, a dog is not going to stop a buffalo.

I'm not horribly worried about getting attacked or anything. That is a quality I'd like my dog to have. Would you teach your children how to fight, Aegis, or would you just allow for a greater possibility of them getting their ass kicked, or possibly killed?

Dental bills for a cat? What the hell? Did he have a cavity or something? *snicker* I had to remove rapala shad lure, with 2 treble hooks on it from a dogs mouth. Neighbor's dog.

I dunno what I'd do in an emergency situation. I am sure I would do whatever was best for the animal though.

How much do canine vaccinations cost, and how much do you spend a month on dog food?

those animals would seriously hurt your dog.

one snake bite to the leg and he/she is done for. a dog (any dog) has little defense against those things.

DoesntMatter
28-07-08, 08:26 AM
Why would I want to spend any more of my time staring at a computer monitor? :P

I already spend at least 8 hours a day, work alone.

I meant an RPG like a rocket propelled grenade launcher

IndiReloaded
28-07-08, 08:41 AM
Dental bills for a cat? What the hell? Did he have a cavity or something? *snicker*

Her canines were sheared off from the impact of the landing. Since those teeth are integral to the jaw of a cat or dog, they needed to be capped or we would have had to put her down (they would have got infected & rotted out). It would be like leaving a compound fracture untreated.

Like I said, the farm solution would have been a shovel to her skull behind the barn but my son was attached to her so we coughed it up. Just trying to emphasize to you that owning a pet is a responsibility & can be expensive.

anachronistic
28-07-08, 08:48 AM
Personally, I would skip the dog and move out of the boon-docks (sp?).

Buying a dog is in no way my solution for a safer life in the country. I was simply correcting Aegis for being an idiot.

It's not that easy. I won't be out of this place until I get out of college.

it's funny everybody thinks they know how to train dogs, yet most dogs are out of control.

I never said I knew how to train animals. I am pretty confident and I would like to though. What's your problem?

those animals would seriously hurt your dog.

one snake bite to the leg and he/she is done for. a dog (any dog) has little defense against those things.

One snake bite to any living animal would be life threatening. Like I said, there are dangerous animals out here. That's my point.

I meant an RPG like a rocket propelled grenade launcher

Oh don't be silly :D

IndiReloaded
28-07-08, 08:51 AM
Here, LW, by way of being *helpful*, if you are serious about wanting a dog, suggest you get this book from your local library. Its quite practical:

Amazon.ca: Dog Training For Dummies: Wendy Volhard, Jack Volhard: Books

Sorry, wrong link (tho looks useful). This is the book I've seen:
http://www.amazon.ca/Dogs-Dummies-Gina-Spadofori/dp/1568848617/ref=pd_sim_b_15

misombra
28-07-08, 08:53 AM
I never said I knew how to train animals. I am pretty confident and I would like to though. What's your problem?

One snake bite to any living animal would be life threatening. Like I said, there are dangerous animals out here. That's my point.

omg you're starting to be lilwang again.

i wasn't even talking to you!

and dogs depend on humans to keep them from all those animals you posted. i don't understand why you want a dog to protect you from those things. unless of course you hate dogs.

Aegis
28-07-08, 08:58 AM
lol, I guess I'm a f#@king idiot; I'd completely forgotten about all the millions of deaths out there from the rampaging wildlife. My prayers are with you while you're walking to and from class, and when you drive to the river.

anachronistic
28-07-08, 08:59 AM
omg you're starting to be lilwang again.

i wasn't even talking to you!

and dogs depend on humans to keep them from all those animals you posted. i don't understand why you want a dog to protect you from those things. unless of course you hate dogs.

I am lilwang. Always was, always will be ;)

Not only do dogs depend on humans, but humans depend as dogs. Generally when you get a dog, you become the 'alpha dog' of the 'pack'. You watch out for each other. It's not just you taking care of the dogs. You owe more credit to the canis!

shh!
28-07-08, 09:11 AM
lol, I guess I'm a f#@king idiot; I'd completely forgotten about all the millions of deaths out there from the rampaging wildlife. My prayers are with you while you're walking to and from class, and when you drive to the river.

I love you. :D

anachronistic
28-07-08, 09:16 AM

Well at least you got ONE thing right.

anachronistic
28-07-08, 09:32 AM
I read an article somewhere that playing tug-of-war with your dog is a bad idea, because the possibility of you losing, could make them feel like they are your master... or something like that.