PDA

View Full Version : Maturity

clearskies
28-07-08, 03:12 AM
How do you define 'maturity'? I would say it is not 100% age related. Do problems help us be mature enough in a short period of time? What else could it be related to?

Gribble
28-07-08, 03:41 AM
I've known enough immature middle aged shitbags to know it isn't 100% age based.

Lipp
28-07-08, 03:56 AM
Being too mature sucks though. I'd rather play a game against my younger bro than chat with guests about camping equipment and wages. :D Growing up sucks.

shh!
28-07-08, 04:21 AM
Maturity is nothing more than possessing common sense AND utilizing it, in addition to taking responsibility for your actions. It is not age-dependent, but you can be sure that if you have to tell people you are mature, you aren't.

anachronistic
28-07-08, 04:33 AM
Kind of what Shh said.

Maturity is your reasoning for doing things. Sometimes it takes more than common sense to have a better reason.

starbuck
28-07-08, 04:50 AM
I know I'm mature in a certain sense. For example, I hold down a good job, I pay all my bills and rent on time, I keep lasting friendships with people. etc.,

But sometimes I feel ridiculously immature. I can get really silly at the drop of a hat.

IndiReloaded
28-07-08, 09:00 AM
Maturity is nothing more than possessing common sense AND utilizing it, in addition to taking responsibility for your actions. It is not age-dependent, but you can be sure that if you have to tell people you are mature, you aren't.

Its actually more than this. Lots of ppl have common sense. Many even know how to utilize it. Most ppl know what they should do & they even know why. What I consider immature is the lack of ability to control themselves enough to use what they know appropriately.

shh!
28-07-08, 09:07 AM
Its actually more than this. Lots of ppl have common sense. Many even know how to utilize it. .

That's why I said you have to utilize the common sense to be considered mature. (At least, that's what I thought I said.)

Mish
28-07-08, 09:11 AM
Definitions go back to Maturity being a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner.

But I'd say maturity is being relaxed enough to know that most things in life are nothing to worry about. This state is the height of human development.

Illusional
28-07-08, 09:40 AM
the question is, what adult is really mature?? we all have our moments.

raverboy

clearskies
29-07-08, 02:35 AM
I think every one has his/her moments to feel and behave like a child or immature person while most of the time he is mature and self-dependent. I agree with Illusional.

boobaa
29-07-08, 05:10 AM
Maturity is the ability to make uninfluenced right decisions, your own decisions, regardless of what others think or suggest. This includes someones advice, you make your own decision, calculate the pros and cons of someones advice and then decide by yourself. And also, I consider maturity the ability to face reality as it is, without illusions. Many people seem to fail that. Dealing with the brutal reality is another thing, some let it go, some try to fix it, this is again the uninfluenced decisions part.

Ok, actually its when people grow pubic hair, next step is having a ****.

jbrowning
29-07-08, 05:11 AM
I think it has a lot to do with taking responsibility and also accepting things as they are when you realize you can't do anything about it.

bluesummer
29-07-08, 05:12 AM
.....but you can be sure that if you have to tell people you are mature, you aren't.

Amen to that.

It's funny how one's definition of 'maturity' changes over time. I thought myself VERY mature when I was 21, but now I tend to think I'm LESS mature. I think I make good choices in my life, I'm emotionally and financially stable; but really, sometimes I like to do 'immature' things like get drunk and play video games, or have sleepovers at my girl friends houses, or go to the go cart track and race my friends.

However, I'm starting to get away from the whole idea that these things are not age-appropriate. I'd hate to think that getting older means not having fun anymore.

Illusional
29-07-08, 03:17 PM
when i'm intoxicated i'm probably the least mature one out of all my friends.

raverboy

Only-virgins
29-07-08, 03:33 PM
I would say it is not 100% age related.

I dis-agree. Maturity is a state of mind and a description someone uses to describe you when you act a certain way.

miSSleepy
29-07-08, 03:51 PM
I dis-agree. Maturity is a state of mind and a description someone uses to describe you when you act a certain way.

But the question is what that certain way is, right?

Only-virgins
31-07-08, 09:48 AM
But the question is what that certain way is, right?

Thats my point, who cares? What the **** do I care what someone thinks!

"This is our decision, to live fast and die young...now we have a vision so now--- lets--- have--- some--- fun!"

I love that song lyrics and so true for me!

anachronistic
31-07-08, 05:13 PM
Well let me confine maturity to one final definition for everybody; a definition that has never really changed, that it seems nobody has bothered to point out:

Maturity is basically your response to a situation, as perceived by society. It's got nothing to do with you. You have your values, your world views, your morals, your conscience, peer pressure, level of risk, mood, etc. Come up with some kind of formula that includes those variables, and it equates to how you'd respond to this universal 'situation'. For you, there is no level of maturity, because without other people, maturity does not exist; it does not matter. Without other people, you're just another animal, trying to survive. Society, which makes up the 'other people' are the ones who decide what is mature, and what is immature. Of course, sometimes you are society, and sometimes you are the person who is mature/immature.

If you can break it down that far, to bare bones; if you knew all that already, you know how to manipulate society. You know how to use their judgement, and weld it however you want. All it takes, is to know what society's variables to the equation would be, if they were put in the 'situation'.

Mwahahahahaha....

Seriously though, that's how it is. That's all it is.

Hoi Polloi!

IndiReloaded
01-08-08, 05:30 AM
Of course, this is why its sometimes 'okay' to kill someone. Say, by public stoning. :P

anachronistic
01-08-08, 06:38 AM
Of course, this is why its sometimes 'okay' to kill someone. Say, by public stoning. :P

That's exactly how they do it. That's exactly why we have people on death row. That's why people are sucked into cults and bound to religions. I think the world could spin without it, don't you? :nerd:

Only-virgins
01-08-08, 06:47 AM

We do it all the time anyways.