PDA

View Full Version : LF Suggestions and Feedback

Junket
24-05-09, 01:03 AM
That Ygg guy had a suggestion for the forum, and while I pretty much already shot it down as a possibility, I realized it's been a while since the forum has made any major changes from the front end.

The last thing I can remember is when we got LA to increase the PM word count from 500 letters to 1,000. (Which still isn't a lot, and I would suggest doubling that, at least.) Which was probably over a year ago.

So does anyone notice anything about the forum that they feel should be added, removed, or streamlined?

ecojeanne
24-05-09, 01:06 AM
a chatroom would be cool

Junket
24-05-09, 01:12 AM
We used to have a chatroom back in the day, but nobody used it.

Maybe were there a way to be logged into the chatroom while posting (like a separate smaller window), it might be more viable.

ecojeanne
24-05-09, 01:14 AM
that would be only way i would use it, did you not have that facility to post and be in the chatroom both at the same time then?

vashti
24-05-09, 01:36 AM
I want to see old, inactive threads closed so that newbies can't bump them. Five year old threads should never be bumped.

Junket
24-05-09, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I feel like they should become "read-only", because I'd like new members to search for topics before they're rehashed, but replying to someone's issue that happened so long ago is annoying.

IndiReloaded
24-05-09, 06:55 AM
I agree, and by way of solution, one thing the mods could do is create an 'archive' section of the forum. Do a search & move anything beyond the cutoff date. Go through and systematically close each of those moved threads.

That's just a workaround, assuming there isn't a way to set this option directly via the forum controls.

BTW, there's probably a way to write a script to automatically do this (as well as close all those moved threads at once), but I don't know enough about the forum system to suggest this.

Charlie Boy II
24-05-09, 06:57 AM
i hate that you can't post posts with less than 10 characters

Junket
24-05-09, 08:14 AM
i hate that you can't post posts with less than 10 characters

I agree, since we work around it anyway but typing things like "____________".

Illusional
25-05-09, 12:38 PM
maybe friz should get a facebook account.

raverboy

vashti
25-05-09, 01:28 PM
I want to get rid of a lot of the smileys.

Illusional
25-05-09, 03:17 PM
yup, speaking of which, when you have too many options to choose from, it becomes more of a hassle to look through all of them.

raverboy

IndiReloaded
26-05-09, 03:10 AM
I've asked this before, but I'd like to see a different colour highlight the name of the OP. It makes it a lot easier to track in multi-page threads.

Illusional
27-05-09, 10:09 AM
i also asked to have my sn in red but it never happened.

raverboy

loveadmin
27-05-09, 11:44 AM
That Ygg guy had a suggestion for the forum, and while I pretty much already shot it down as a possibility, I realized it's been a while since the forum has made any major changes from the front end.

The last thing I can remember is when we got LA to increase the PM word count from 500 letters to 1,000. (Which still isn't a lot, and I would suggest doubling that, at least.) Which was probably over a year ago.

So does anyone notice anything about the forum that they feel should be added, removed, or streamlined?

It been ages since the last major revamp.. (call me lazy ...maybe i am really busy)

I have alot of things in mind to put up for our site but just not "motivated" to take on the stressful work yet. :D

what kind of stuffs do you like to see on LF?

I have thought of having our:
- own twitter-like system
- newsletter
- entertainment corner
- new forum section for new mother or married couple?

Post your idea and we will see.

Cheers.

IndiReloaded
27-05-09, 11:46 AM
i also asked to have my sn in red but it never happened.

raverboy

It IS red already you drunkard. ;)

loveadmin
27-05-09, 11:47 AM
I want to see old, inactive threads closed so that newbies can't bump them. Five year old threads should never be bumped.

Strongly agreed on this point.

Will put in my todo list.

Junket
27-05-09, 12:00 PM
I hate twitter, and I personally don't see how it would have a place on this kind of website.

I also think if we're going to add more sub-forums, we should get rid of other ones, I've seen forums with 20+ sub-forums and it's just a mess. It's intimidating to newbies because they worry about posting in the right forum, and they feel like their little thread will get lost in the pile.

Less is more.

Or it's just less, but simpler.

Illusional
27-05-09, 01:05 PM
It IS red already you drunkard. ;)

if you really look closely, every so closely at it, it is goddamn ORANGE.... oragnedededed for the diseabledededed...wait orangeEDEDEDEDED

raverboy

Illusional
27-05-09, 01:06 PM
=)

raverboy

IndiReloaded
27-05-09, 02:18 PM
I was totally messing with you, Raver, to see what you said. You aren't that drunk yet. ;)

Illusional
28-05-09, 11:31 AM
hrmm... let's look back at time and see what time i posted this... hrmm...7pm. i think i had about 5 beers by this time haha.

raverboy

misombra
29-05-09, 03:07 AM
i think we should delete the option to post in all kinds of crazy colors.

i don't know about yall but that shit kills my eyes.

Mish
29-05-09, 03:26 PM
~~~SoUnDs GoOd~~~

Gigabitch
30-05-09, 12:13 AM
hrmm... let's look back at time and see what time i posted this... hrmm...7pm. i think i had about 5 beers by this time haha.

raverboy

Baby, you are going to rot from the inside out.

Lite
30-05-09, 03:24 PM
I'm starting to thing that people shouldn't be allowed to have taglines for 2 weeks. It would drastically cut down on the people trying to advertise for other sites in their profile as newbie.

I understand they're trying to drive traffic, and money their way but to do it directly at the cost of LA and the userbase here is just rude and a bit like walking into Fry's wearing your Best Buy uniform to tell people that your prices are lower or whatever. It's just bad form.

As a side note, disable their ability to even post links for the same amount (or longer) of time.

Illusional
31-05-09, 12:59 AM
Baby, you are going to rot from the inside out.

basically in life, everyone is waiting to die.

raverboy

Mish
01-06-09, 11:02 AM
basically in life, everyone is waiting to die.

raverboy

It's just, some die less painfully than the others

vashti
01-06-09, 11:06 AM
I want to be able to edit the thread titles when I notice a typo.

Junket
01-06-09, 11:42 AM

I could've easily have fixed that for you, but I was feeling bitter about being called a dork.

vashti
01-06-09, 12:26 PM
I could've easily have fixed that for you, but I was feeling bitter about being called a dork.

I didn't name you specifically, dork. :goofy:

Illusional
01-06-09, 01:34 PM
true some die less painfully, but it's rather live a joyful life than worrying about my death.

raverboy

IndiReloaded
01-06-09, 01:37 PM

Bwahahahaha!

Rollerderby
05-06-09, 01:34 PM
Please no twitter. I know I'm new but twitter is heinous.

Junket
05-06-09, 07:27 PM
I didn't name you specifically, dork. :goofy:

Well now I'll take a picture of your typo it and frame it on my wall.

vashti
17-07-09, 09:00 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned or not (I was too lazy to read back), but it would be FANTASTIC if the mods would merge multiple threads made by a single poster on the exact same topic.

IndiReloaded
18-07-09, 12:47 AM
I think they do. If they are feeling kind they will even edit into paragraphs (thanks Fras). I think the mods need a raise. ;)

Junket
18-07-09, 04:30 AM
If I see them I always merge them together if they both have responses, otherwise I delete the duplicates.

I'm not quitting my day job to do this, y'know.

Illusional
18-07-09, 09:39 AM
if LA turned me into a green screen named mod, then i might consider it.

raverboy

doppelgaenger
18-07-09, 06:23 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned or not (I was too lazy to read back), but it would be FANTASTIC if the mods would merge multiple threads made by a single poster on the exact same topic.

I made a collaborative thread for guys new to the dating scene, but it was derailed by a couple of jackasses [who shall not be named]

So I just deleted it. That idea isn't failproof because people can't seem to stay on topic, even outside the damn off topic section.

Yggdrasil
18-07-09, 06:40 PM

ej? ej? ej?

doez it? doez it?

:emot152:

vashti
18-07-09, 08:14 PM
I made a collaborative thread for guys new to the dating scene, but it was derailed by a couple of jackasses [who shall not be named]

So I just deleted it. That idea isn't failproof because people can't seem to stay on topic, even outside the damn off topic section.

??? All topics get derailed. That wasn't the point of merging 3 of the exact same threads into one.

Gigabitch
19-07-09, 12:57 AM
I would like to see posters have conditional status for a week or so, or for 25 posts or whatever (Lite's idea was brilliant) and have the access to forum customization open up as they post more. By the time they could access advanced editing, they'd have actually become part of the community. I don't know if that's possible on the back end, though. It seems like all privileges have to be granted by LA manually. What a pain in the ass.

I'd also like to see the "Ask a Male" and "Ask a Female" forums just go away. That's usually where the multiple posting of duplicate threads happens.

Junket
19-07-09, 01:05 AM
Actually, on that note, I was just sitting here thinking, (as I saw all the SPAM 'Sombra deleted). What if new posters didn't have access to the majority of the subforums?

Like, what if we only kept 1 or 2 forums open, like the intro, and the main love advice forum and kept the others hidden until they reached a certain amount of posts or reputation? Once again, I guess it would suck on the back end since it seems like LA would be in charge of that manually (since he doesn't want to give us that privilege).

Gigabitch
19-07-09, 01:14 AM
Well, you can PM until you have a certain number of posts. Perhaps more could be set up along those lines. I think you shouldn't be able to put a signature in your profile until you've made 100 posts.

IndiReloaded
19-07-09, 02:06 AM
The only thing you need to consider w/LAs time is whether any changes will help make the forum more interesting for new members. Of which, keeping it clean via mods plays an important part.

If you hide most of the sub forums, this could affect the searches that bring people here. Which could affect the forum advertising, which makes LA money and pays for the forum.

Just to keep things in perspective as to why the forum is REALLY here. ;)