PDA

View Full Version : Show age on posts

LightOn
23-04-05, 11:46 PM
I was wandering if it is possible for peoples age to be shown somewhere on there post (somewhere around their location and join date) if they chose to include it on their profile?

It would be much much appreciated, thanks. :)

LightOn

Innova
24-04-05, 12:11 AM
How come, just wondering?

Although it could help with giving advice to that specific person, it could also lead to stereotyping just because of that certain age.

Illusional
24-04-05, 09:18 AM
that's true, you probably would look down upon the younger generation.

however at the time same, it would allow light to know the age of his victims.

raverboy

Kiechi
24-04-05, 09:54 PM
I was wandering if it is possible for peoples age to be shown somewhere on there post (somewhere around their location and join date) if they chose to include it on their profile?

It would be much much appreciated, thanks. :)

LightOn

May I ask why?

LightOn
25-04-05, 04:00 AM
A younger croud usually seeks different things than an older croud, stereotype or not, it is the truth. I just hate to confuse someone anymore than they are already and if I know their age I may be able to communicate with them better. If anyone else feels me on this speak up!

The truth is, is that yes I would respond to them differently. That is the whole point of it. Gotta know who you're talking to.

Junket
25-04-05, 09:31 AM
Just request the information, most people will give that stuff up when they think they can get better advice.

LightOn
25-04-05, 09:46 AM
Just request the information, most people will give that stuff up when they think they can get better advice.

The whole point is to avoid asking them questions and answering theirs.

misombra
25-04-05, 10:38 AM
people can include it in their profile i think...

Only-virgins
25-04-05, 10:54 AM
80% of the profiles dont even show dates...it seems like it at least.

misombra
25-04-05, 11:01 AM
it would be kinda nice to know how old people are. just for curiosity sake. i think there is a difference. stereotyping will go on but but we're tolerant of people of different ages, but i think it's true that people of different ages require different things. it would be nice to know the age of people who are giving me advice sometimes. i don't know how well a person who is ten years younger than me can give me advice on my relationship issues you know?

also i wouldn't want to give "adult" advice to somebody who is very young.

those are my thoughts...

Illusional
25-04-05, 02:23 PM
haha well didn't we already have an age thread?? that would be the solution to this question. those memebers who wish to post their ages already have.

raverboy

Kiechi
25-04-05, 03:07 PM
Looking into the age thread is far too troublesome. From where I'm standing this can't do any harm... so I guess i'm for this.

Junket
25-04-05, 04:34 PM
I guess as long as it's optional it can't hurt.

loveadmin
25-04-05, 07:05 PM
I don't think there's a need to show our age unless we are running a matchmaking site? :)

We will just share our opinions regardless of age.

cheers!

LightOn
26-04-05, 05:40 AM
I don't think there's a need to show our age unless we are running a matchmaking site? :)

We will just share our opinions regardless of age.

cheers!

Ahhhh Cmon!!! I'll pay you 50 smileys!!!

Illusional
26-04-05, 09:46 AM
oh bribery is always welcomed with me.. however smileys are never accepted in my book.

raverboy

LightOn
27-04-05, 05:48 AM
oh bribery is always welcomed with me.. however smileys are never accepted in my book.

raverboy

Where is the middle finger one when you need it.

nomas
27-04-05, 06:18 AM
I think lighton had a good suggestion. It makes for more efficient communication to keep your audience in mind and age, when appropriately tied to maturity, is a big factor when talking to someone, and it while there are solutions like asking, browsing the age thread or looking at this person's profile, the whole point of the suggestion is for a quick and easy alteration which will bring about an enhancement in communication.

I vote for this change to be implemented.

Innova
27-04-05, 07:46 AM
Yeah well, im 19...but the moment I told everyone about that. Everyone seemed so surprised...like I was suppost to be older or something.

I dunno, as with everything in life...there are advantages and disadvantages.

nomas
27-04-05, 08:23 AM
Nova, you're 19?? Wow..sorry, kid, I may have been talking about thing you know nothing about. I'm nobody to be taking your innocense like that.

I'm just funnin' you, man...again, it's about maturity, and though you're one of few who break the norm, sometimes it's a good barometer to give you a feel as to how you should talk to someone....

...sometimes...

Illusional
27-04-05, 02:39 PM
the middle finger is on my hand because it's the most popular finger that i use.

how many other ways can you think of using it other than flicking someone off or fingering your girl.

raverboy

LightOn
28-04-05, 05:55 AM
how many other ways can you think of using it other than flicking someone off or fingering your girl.

raverboy

You can use it to type when you search for that old thread about ages you were talking of LOL

Illusional
28-04-05, 09:05 AM
or i can use it to dig my nose when i have a booger that won't let me breath.

raverboy

LightOn
28-04-05, 09:38 AM
The bribe has increased to 101 smileys

:)

1 down, 100 to go.

Illusional
28-04-05, 03:07 PM
actually those smileys are working against you.

raverboy

blue
28-04-05, 09:53 PM
:) :) :) :)

Illusional
29-04-05, 04:15 AM
don't think that i'm gonna let YOU slide because you are showing me a few smiles too. girls are nothing but trouble..haha.

raverboy

Chlorine
29-04-05, 11:20 PM
Nobody-----Age classification is a deterrent to open communication. What I like about this forum is that it brings equality to the masses. It's supposed to anyway. If we start classifiying, it'll be structuring people into blocks. Age blocks.

artyemi
30-04-05, 12:36 AM
And sometimes age doesn't always help with advice giving because sometimes, you don't fall in with the stereotype of the age group you're in..

Like maybe there's someone who's only 16, but is already a parent.

Or someone who's 30 and has never had a relationship..

Illusional
30-04-05, 05:33 AM
chlorine.. equality... haha i'm guessing that you're about 50, but people here actually think that you're somewhere in the region of 12. =)~

raverboy

LightOn
30-04-05, 05:49 AM
Remember people this an option, meaning you can choose to show it or you can choose not to. ;)

I wish you all would stop looking at only the negative aspects of this.

http://www.loveforum.net/

At the top of the main page it says #1 internet love forum, now I'm not trying to downgrade anything but cmon, some work could be done to earn that title.

LA, Please, I ask you to reconsider this. Maybe transfering that birthdate thing to the post just above where their location is.

Which brings up, if this isn't even considerd then why is location considerd? Or why is post count considerd?

Ok, I'm done being a politician.......for now :goofy:

Kiechi
30-04-05, 08:31 AM
I don't agree, I think the forum has done enough to earn it's respective title. When you search love forums in a search engine, how many loveforums do you find? Not many.

Illusional
30-04-05, 12:13 PM
umm...i just did a quick search on google and i typed in "love forum". basically this site showed up number one because the two words love forum are quite common. if you typed maybe love and advice, you'd probably get a different site as number one.

raverboy

indigosoul
30-04-05, 12:58 PM
Personally, I don't think it matters if one's age shows in the post so long as there is an option to NOT post your age/BD. I agree that it may create unncessary bias. But, why not vote on it? :astonish:

LightOn
30-04-05, 08:52 PM
umm...i just did a quick search on google and i typed in "love forum". basically this site showed up number one because the two words love forum are quite common. if you typed maybe love and advice, you'd probably get a different site as number one.

raverboy

Exactly...

Now I don't look down apon anything unless I can offer some assistance. So you can get irrational or whatever I won't care.

I would really like to believe this is the #1 love forum, but I don't have one reason to believe it is. Sure it's optimistic to believe so, but lets be logicial.

I type in love forum on google and well this one is at the top of the list because it's the closest match to the key words "love forum"

This forum lacks sophistication big time! When you get a lot of people here that type totally off topic BS just to increase their post count it's unfair to the person that created the thread, totally high jacks it, that my friends is far from #1. For example, a new comer comes along, introduces themself and a poster slips by and types *jerks off* and other posters laugh at this and say nothing about how degrading it just was, so it is allowed to be continued?!?!? Not to mention the dating topic, those threads become hijacked allllll the time. Why? Because their is no sophositication to this forum.

Kiechi, tell me, why do you think this forum has done enough to earn the title? Has it done its duty and just sits here an looks pretty? I don't know about you but nothing is perfect so there is always room for improvement.

I have quite a few more suggestions but I'll be damned if I offer them to an unwilling to listen croud.

LightOn
30-04-05, 09:31 PM
But, why not vote on it? :astonish:

Well voting involves politics, and can't win them without running a campaign first ;)

Illusional
01-05-05, 03:20 AM
lighton.. trust me, it will take a lot more than that to offend me.

i understand your views and i can see why you are that way. yes i'm not the perfect person and i'm not here to give advice. i did that in my previous years and i got tired of saying the same things over and over again. however, there are many other members who give advice to those who are in need of it.

as far as sophisitcation... take into consideration that nearly everyone on this site is under the age of hrmm... let's say 25. you're expecting everyone to be mature on the forums when they are required to be mature in society daily. the internet is a place where i don't really care about anything. i kiss too much ass at work to be mature online. hahaha..

raverboy

Innova
01-05-05, 01:18 PM
I'll say this much, this forum has grown above all odds in the past couple of years. In all the time I have watched this forum grow...despite the goofing off, and the fun fun stuff...most peoples questons get answered, and with many different opinions related to that topic.

LightOn
01-05-05, 03:09 PM
Illusional,

I appologize about my quotationism.....lol all that was directed towards you was the "Exactly..." part. I felt you were aggreeing more than disagreeing. In all honesty, you deserve credit for sticking around this place more than any one through all the nonsence. You're not self centerd like most posters who critisize without consrucitveness that's more worried about sharing their opion on the sitution than they are helping that particular person in that particular situation.

Saying the same thing over and over is old, it's why i dissapeared last year...but with a little bit of structure this can be minimized. Rules and guidlines, ....It's gotta start somewhere, warnings and/or voted upon punishment for ridicule/steretyping. Constant Negativity from posters that argue with antying they feel their inexpericance can't comprehend.

Innova,

Yes it's true most seekers get the advice or opinions they asked for...but with the BS hijacking their topic they will probably feel uncomfortable to continue posting about their potential progress, because of ridicule. This place was actually better a year ago when mvplaya and icequeeen was here, half the people here now giving advice have little to no experiance in the dating world.

Basically I just don't want my efforts into helping people to be wasted, I utilize anything and everyting i can. I feel passionate about this suggestion and it's said that this is not a matchmakling site but I see more flirting between posters than I do anything constuctive to people who need love advice. Not that flirting is wrong but lets not rule anything out here.

loveadmin
02-05-05, 12:59 PM
I notice we can show age on our profile . lol. I just never turn it on.

Innova
02-05-05, 01:58 PM
If you want, go ahead. But the moment I see a crap load of any sort of unprofessional stereotyping going on, I will ask for it to be removed. Since only you can do that LA.

nomas
03-05-05, 02:11 AM
LightOn,

I see what you're saying and I kind of agree...but I kind of don't.

What you're proposing is changing this forum entirely..pretty much, to maket it into something that maybe you and I and a few others would appreciate. Yet that would mean changing the forum almost entirely as to what it is today.

As a "mature adult"..whatever that means..I, too, sometimes feel like there's a lot of unnecessary BS and childsplay going on that I don't really care for. If there was stricter moderation of these undesireable elements, I'd think the quality of the entire forum would go up..as far as my own preferences are concerned. However, how many times do we post an off-topic quircky/funny comment? It's not fair for us to do it when we feel like it and censor someone else's because we didn't want it polluting a topic we were interested in.

And that's what it boils down to, as far as I see the major change in this site in this respect: Censorship. A lot of people really enojoy this place because the censorship is minimal...and THIS I really agree with. I'm one to say, "hell, it sucks that I have to dig through a bunch of BS to get to the quality postings I liket to see, but I'd rather have the option to ignore it and have more variety and people, than have fewer 'desireables' aboard giving their few responses".

Having said that..I still wouldn't mind seeing the age. I don't tend to do much in terms of "dating and relationship advice", but some common sense I can relay to younger members..where you can just see their mistakes coming because you have that experience..whereas you see someone older and you know that some info may be redundant and generally not useful to them.

KirstyM
03-05-05, 06:06 AM
I agree with the suggestion to include age under post count and location on your messages. Yes it could lead to stereotyping or discrimination but I think that would be a minority. There's a disadvantage to every advantage, I dont think it would cause a problem. It just gives you an extra piece of information about other posters. I mean, the advice you give a 14 year old about his/her relationship is going to be very different to what you tell a 24 yo and it's too much hassle to look in the profiles for a date of birth. Besides nobody HAS to post their age. But it would be nice to be given the option. If it doesnt work or causes too much trouble, you just get rid of it again. What is there to lose?

Illusional
03-05-05, 12:14 PM
As a "mature adult"..whatever that means..I, too, sometimes feel like there's a lot of unnecessary BS and childsplay going on that I don't really care for. If there was stricter moderation of these undesireable elements, I'd think the quality of the entire forum would go up..as far as my own preferences are concerned. However, how many times do we post an off-topic quircky/funny comment? It's not fair for us to do it when we feel like it and censor someone else's because we didn't want it polluting a topic we were interested in.

mature adult huh??

well all the childplay does come from all the children of the forum, and the drunk asses like myself. as far as moderation, do you feel that i should be stricter?? i personally don't think so, but everyone has their own opinion.

raverboy

Kareltjef
04-05-05, 06:19 AM
I think showing ages is a good thing, I think it'd be helpful in giving advice.. Showing genders would be useful too, I'm sure you guys won't be able to tell from my name wether I'm male or female (yeah, I'm too stupid to attach an avatar :S)... but yeah, that's another thing

LightOn
04-05-05, 06:48 AM
What you're proposing is changing this forum entirely..pretty much, to maket it into something that maybe you and I and a few others would appreciate. Yet that would mean changing the forum almost entirely as to what it is today.

My only proposal is the age thing. Being totally optional would give the user the same freedom they have now, plus one more option. Those "suggestions" were just additional ideas on areas that could be improved upon, just because I make a suggestions doesn't mean it has to float that way, that suggestion itself could be worked on and improved.

As for changing it completely? No not at all I know I mentioned rules and guidlines and stuff, but I don't mean a person must post in a accordingly fashion or anything of the sort. Basically having a tolerance level, people come here for help not abuse, if you don't feel like helping or you are not seeking help then no problem, so long you don't create ADDITIONAL obstacles for those participating. Those additional obstacles is what I was talking about.

I like the fact that this site doesn't have posting procedures or strict rules, it allows an inviduals personality to flare. Keep the freedom intact, with a level of tolerance.

With a consistent correction of a stereotyper from more than one person, they WILL eventy cease to stereotype when they realize it does more harm to their "persona" than it does good.

loveadmin
05-05-05, 01:52 AM
Thread closed. I don't the need to discuss any further on this issue.

Illusional
05-05-05, 12:23 PM
whoa.. i've never seen LA close a thread before. or atleast i don't think that i have.

raverboy